The $6.00 Front Blackout, That is also REVERSIBLE!

Discussion in '8G Lancer - Customization' started by matchstick, Apr 26, 2009.

1. marauder96

marauder96 Well-Known Member

I took a nice xacto knife and scored the edges where the tape is, then peeled REALLY slowly. Came off nice and clean. :alien:

2. westcoast

westcoast Well-Known Member

Word, think ill buy another can and try it on friday, thanks for the tip

3. westcoast

westcoast Well-Known Member

Aight just redid mine and it came out looking amazing!! Will take pics tomorrow

4. gi5h

gi5h New Member

First off thanks for the great idea! i did my Lancer last month and it work really good. (even stands up to the car wash)

here she is.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

sorry about the quality these are taken with my blackberry.

The only issue i had was that if you mask it and and paint it after only a few minutes the "paint" starts to stick to the tape and you can start to peel off the new coat when the tape comes off. so to get around this remove the top mask of tape right after you spray. as soon as you are done. and put down a fresh later of tape for the next coat. i learned this the hard way.

5. 2k8 ES

2k8 ES Well-Known Member

Looks good on GG. I just did mine yesterday and had to go around the edges with a razor. It wasn't perfect but you can cut away the excess pretty easily. Very very worth it.

6. The Beav

The Beav Well-Known Member

sweet! gona look into this!!!

7. xSoni

xSoni Well-Known Member

Did 5 Coats on mine, about 4 really thick coats..and then just 1 spray over at the end. Seems very easy to clean, just make sure you mask the car up good. I kind rushed it a bit the first time and a piece of tape got stuck to the plasti dip and it ripped some off while i was removing the tape. So i took it all off and redid it. Took me about another 3-4 hrs (of waiting for it to dry in between coats..) [​IMG]

I didnt do a "Full" blackout. I left the silver logo and the silver border. Thats just a personal preference tho. Might black it all out next weekend, might leave it not sure tho.

guess im kinda late with this post :oops:

8. 2k8 ES

2k8 ES Well-Known Member

Haha no dude never too late. But I'd get that chrome around the top blacked out. You can leave the Mitsu logo but the rest has to go :p

9. The Beav

The Beav Well-Known Member

ya i did my rims and re did my front end.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. LuvMyLancer

LuvMyLancer Well-Known Member

Mine turned out good:

BEFORE
    [​IMG]

AFTER
    [​IMG]

11. slim8605

slim8605 Well-Known Member

Now I want to do my rims lol

Did you do clear on them too or just the dip?

12. enkrypter_DJ

enkrypter_DJ Well-Known Member

i bought 2 cans, its harder to find in canada and is 15$ a can, i sprayed my Head unit trim that i had got form metra in 2007, it was apainted gloss black and didnt match with the interior, ill post up some pics later

13. 2k8 ES

2k8 ES Well-Known Member

I'm gunna go make a thread for non-front blackout uses of plasti-dip to see what people have done lol.

14. xSoni

xSoni Well-Known Member

before
    [​IMG]
    after
    [​IMG]

did the chrome part =p

15. Doc Hudson

Doc Hudson New Member

We did our Chrome portion this past weekend, follow the directions, works Great. How are people finding plasti-dip holds up to Road Debries and being Washable for bugs?

16. LuvMyLancer

I've had mine a couple months now... easy to wash, and its not chipping or anything like the vinyl did.

17. 2k8 ES

2k8 ES Well-Known Member

Mine had one chip but I just tore a square in a peice of paper and did one coat, looks the same as it did the first day lol.

18. LuvMyLancer

Yeah I'm actually pretty impressed with this stuff :)

19. 2k8 ES

2k8 ES Well-Known Member

Same lol

20. 09_lancesil

09_lancesil New Member

think i'm going to do my front bumper Fri, will post pics when i get it done!! STOKED!!