Manual vs. CVT?

Discussion in '8G Lancer - Performance' started by jake, Jun 25, 2008.

1. jake

jake Active Member

well it looks like it will be manual. Now I just have to find the right deal lol. I was pretty close tonight, but it didn't work out. Hopefully tomorrow. I HATE CAR SALESMEN!

2. westcoast

westcoast Well-Known Member

My friend had a cvt with exhaust, intake, pulleys, and the piggyback and I raced him in my bone stock DE and rolled him from a stop, 20 roll, and 40 roll. We couldnt believe how slow the cvt is compared to the manual. Couple days later he traded in his lancer and bought an evo, lol.

3. Milagro

Milagro Well-Known Member

jake, come to Albuquerque, I'll take care of you!

I was the guy Westcoast raced, lol.

4. jake

jake Active Member

do you sell cars or something?

5. jake

jake Active Member

5M it is :)

6. Evolve

Evolve Well-Known Member

atta boi. :D

7. HomieG

HomieG Well-Known Member

5-SPD FTW! drove the CVT, doesnt even feel like my car! feels like its heavier...which i know it is a lil bit....but you actually feel a big diff!!
    you'll def be happy that you picked 5-spd! TRUST US!! :D

8. jake

jake Active Member

I like being able to put my foot in it and go. With the cvt, it would take a few seconds before it started moving. Its a lot more fun to drive also.

I have to admit though, I feel like rice lol. I have strong urges to mod it and race people lol. I don't because I know I have ~150 hp, but still, I have the urge

9. EVO

EVO Active Member

hi ,
    i would to know if the 1.8 manual can be converted or have the turbo/evoX/ralliart fitted to it? it seems frm wat i knw is the evo X this time has only the SST/auto and no manual transmission.
    tq

10. WhiteAfrikan

WhiteAfrikan Active Member

I have the CVT, wish i had the 5 speed. Go with the 5 speed for sure.

11. EVO

EVO Active Member

does anyone have the 4B10 1.8 manual specs; gear ratios info etc?
    Tq

12. mhmayhem88

mhmayhem88 Well-Known Member

Everyone that's saying the CVT is slower than a manual is driving the CVT in "manual" mode right?? I don't doubt that the manual is faster but I will say that the CVT is drastically faster when you're controlling the shifting vs. just punching the gas and going with the car in "D"...

13. EVO

EVO Active Member

yea somehow saw on you tube on the cvt vs the manual and the MT lost to the cvt at start up and later caught up and beat the cvt.
    so i guess it takes proper skill to drive the manual also..logically its about the timing of shifting for both the cvt & MT i think.

14. raceshark

raceshark Member

I just traded my rx-8 for the lancer gts cvt and I don't regret it one bit. It all depends on what your looking for if all you care about is performance then go with manual or for that matter an ra. Myself I wanted a nice looking car that can be a daily driver but fun to drive = gts

15. EVO

EVO Active Member

raceshark,

wow wat happen? u traded a rx8, its damn nice ride man, is it the maintenance n fuel guzzling probs? well the Gts is nice also :p
    ya its all about personal preferences, for me i just like the thrill of shifting and fun.

16. raceshark

raceshark Member

tanks evo!! the 8 was a very nice ride but a lot of stuff let to the decision and yes fuel consumption was one of the factors. the gts is just as a great car too!!

17. knarles

knarles Active Member

Hi everyone,

I have a 2011 GTS (4B12) with the CVT. It's a blast to drive and while it's an automatic it's nice to be able to throw it over to sport mode and control shifting. My question for the general audience is... does anyone know how much torque the CVT can handle? Thinking of course towards mods. Is there a breaking point? I haven't been able to find anything anywhere that answers this question.

18. Jogenmaru

Jogenmaru Well-Known Member

Ask belgaram. He is the only one around that is not turbo and pushing the cvt to its limits right now.

19. knarles

knarles Active Member

Sounds good, thanks.

20. EVO

EVO Active Member

so the cvt can really take BOT?