Launching our 4b11?? 5speed

Discussion in '8G Lancer - Performance' started by FinestGTS, Jan 13, 2008.

1. bf360

bf360 Well-Known Member

what i do for near perfect no hop launches, rev it to around 3500 little more little less til you get the feel, pop it but slip it, i kno doesnt make sence but when you do it youll understand, then as you gain wheel spin feather the clutch just enough so you dont have too much wheel hop or spin

2. AeJarrotto

AeJarrotto Well-Known Member

haha at work tonight we were switching to a new general manager, and i wanted to leave a good impression, so i did something i rarely do, and did one of the most fun burnout-launch ever in my lancer. :twisted:

3. Payload

Payload Well-Known Member

yeah well thats tough because its the only way you'll lanuch at decent revs without getting massive wheel spin. You dont want to slip it as much as when you drive normally but just a tiny bit to help controll wheel spin. It will let you get slightly higher revs without spin. Also it will help protect your gearbox. Dropping it at high revs is just asking to blow something up... its a good way to kill your diff and transmission at the same time.

So.. slip it a little to protect your box and limit wheel spin, in the long run a little extra clutch wear is easier to repair than a busted gearbox. $100-200 clutch vs couple thousand dollar gearbox replacement.

You'll know if you slip it too much at high revs because it will just feel like its floating and wont grab for a bit which is obviousley a bad thing, when you get it right it will be pretty smooth.

4. FinestGTS

FinestGTS Well-Known Member

Thanx for all the hep guys, this is a really informative thread.

also, for who ever said they would take a video please do pretty please :).

so basicly right before you launch you just rev it to 3k pop till grab then slip alil to ease ur way out?

5. Payload

Payload Well-Known Member

alot of people just drop it cause its easier.. but if you can slip it just a little you will be able to run higher revs with less wheel spin and will be safer on your gearbox too. Takes alot of practice to get it perfect because you have to be very familiar with where the clutch grabs... usually its part luck too when you get it perfect.

Basically that little slip lets you just get rolling before the power comes on... alternatively you can semi cheat buy getting the car to just roll before you start.. push the clutch back in and drop it when its time to go. Its the easier alternative but looks pretty weak on your behalf :lol:

Mostly its just practice, practice, practice so you get a feel for what your doing, preferably on a propper race track so you can get your times. Often the runs that feel slow because they were smooth were the fast ones and if your not being timed you'll never know how well you are actually doing.

6. lancermike

lancermike Well-Known Member

i said wold take a video i will when i get the cance which should b either tonight or tomorrow night i jus been workin alot after school

7. ThePinoy

ThePinoy Well-Known Member

imo peg it at 3.5k then launch not only will you not burn out but youll be rolling with mivec on. im the g. grey DE that went to the lake run ask anyone there if i can launch.

8. bras_33

bras_33 Well-Known Member

unfortunetly :evil:

9. BigSteve

BigSteve Well-Known Member

i drive a CVT.. i know this is a manual discussion but i thought id share.. I launch mine by side stepping the break.. (left foot on the break, right foot on the gas, I launch mine at around 2.5 2.7 ish.. almost 3k... i spin tire but no wheel hop. hope this helps.

10. bras_33

aka brake torquing, not good for the tranny or axles!!!! When you replace the axles you can see it twisted. fyi

11. eKtor

eKtor Well-Known Member

i do it for a slight second.. its not that bad... it helps on the 60ft tho.... tonight is the track meet.. we will see

12. Xeri

Xeri Well-Known Member

Right sorry to hijack this thread again on behalf of the cvt but i just wanna know, so left foot brake and right foot gas launch is the way to go? coz normally i just leave it in neutral leave it to 2.5kish then drop it to drive. some1 did mention something like that before but i just needed to clarify it since bras said it might be bad... lol im confusing my self ~ ~

13. Redline1

Redline1 Well-Known Member

yea neutral drops are bad for the tranni.

14. bras_33

yup, the left foot/brake, right foot/accelerator...dropping it into gear is also not recommended. Eventually you will lose your tranny.