TURBO TURBO TURBO TURBO

Discussion in 'Forced Induction' started by LancerGTS, Aug 10, 2007.

1. SeRious08

SeRious08 Well-Known Member

You would have to talk to EvoSoul on EvoM for more indepth details. He posted the info there as-well.

2. bras_33

bras_33 Well-Known Member

Btw, great discussion!!!

BigSteve-I understand and agree to a point to what you are saying. In theory it sounds like it would be faster. Regardless there is some lag whether its 5speed or cvt. The only real way to find out is when it is available.

Off-topic: Who is really going to get a turbo for their Lancer? Even if its going to be $5000

3. Hydrolikz

Hydrolikz Well-Known Member

IMO I beleive that the 5 speed will take it off the line, but while you're switching gears the boost will be constant on the CVT thus making it catch up in the long run.

4. bras_33

/\ than why is the NA 5speed faster than the NA cvt in a 1/4 mile?

5. eg6motion

eg6motion Well-Known Member

Heres the post from evom, hope evosoul doesn't mind

6. Hydrolikz

I believe that with boost in the equation, it will make a difference because that added HP will stay constant with the CVT while the 5 speeds power will have to drop and take time to increase again. Boost being the key word here.

7. bras_33

from experience, I have seen to identical boosted eclipses, one was a 5speed and the other auto and the 5speed won by a car and same as a SRT-4. So...

8. Wasper

Wasper Well-Known Member

Well... I may eventually get a turbo. The money is part of the issue (Wife is currently pregnat with twins :D) , but the reliability is the bigger issue.. I really dont want to be a lab-rat with something like this, So Ill just wait a while to see how the CVTs fair with the boost.

Then agian, if I wait to long, Ill prob just say screw it and wait till my next vehicle. I drive so many miles that in four years Ill be well over 100,000 miles... by then I might just buy a new car thats factory boosted.

9. Hydrolikz

Stated by Bras:
    from experience, I have seen to identical boosted eclipses, one was a 5speed and the other auto and the 5speed won by a car and same as a SRT-4. So...

Just stating my opinion, we really won't know until the kits are out and we start seeing each other on the drag strip to see what happens. And regardless the 5 speed will have the advantage because you will be able to use higher boost than a CVT, but both at 6 psi would make an interesting match-up

10. Guest

Guest Guest

Look plain and simple .

An automatic will NOT win against a manual. If both r fixed up and boosted equally, A manual will win all day long.

automatics have less power to the wheels due to the energy it takes to put the power to the wheels thru the automatic transmission.

You can argue this till ur blue in the face--blah blah blah blah blah blah
    and u know what....

UR WRONG!!!-----plain and simple

11. Hydrolikz

Easy there big boy! If i'm wrong i'm wrong I could care less, I would prefer to race with a 5spd over auto anyday. But with the arguments given by not only me, I would like to see how lag vs no lag would fair. 5 speed is the greatest and would never lose against an automatic! Are you happy now? :D

And PS blah blah blah blah right back at cha :wink:

12. Hydrolikz

Yo KRU! what transmission is your car?

13. Guest

Guest Guest

CVT to answer ur question.

I didnt single u out in my reply. It is a general reply to the bickering going on and a n honest argument to the topic at hand.
    So return the same respect and dont single me out in ur reply.

thank you bye bye come again.

LMAO!

14. Hydrolikz

My bad B! No disrespect intended hence the :D And why did you go CVT if you beleive that the 5spd is greater? Or is that another result of being sponsord?

15. bras_33

I know you are stating your opinion and thats what makes this topic great for discussion. What I was pointing out was/is fact.

16. Guest

Guest Guest

I got CVT cuz I was going to be using it to do a lot of driving every day, but things worked out differently. I never planned on doing the stuff that I did to it. Go figure.

17. BigSteve

BigSteve Well-Known Member

How can you say manuals will beat autos all day long, most drag-track cars are auto because the driver cant shift fast enough. I knew a crew of guys they all drove talons, they all had manuals... when they put turbos and other work to their cars they had to convert them to auto because they couldnt shift fast enough. its a win-win situation, CVT isnt auto either completely diff transmission..

18. lancered

lancered Well-Known Member

its a torque converter in basic terms.....cvt is professional.

19. BigSteve

BigSteve Well-Known Member

On another note, I do hope that the CVT can handle more than 6 PSI, I read somewhere that before 2005 CVTs couldnt handle anymore than 80 extra HP... but after 2005 it changed to where the CVT could handle more than 80 extra HP... something similar like that... Im only going from memory ill try to find the link where I read it.

20. SeRious08

SeRious08 Well-Known Member

A drag/track car is also setup completely different from a street car. The shifting box, the gearing, everything is different. Thats like comparing oranges to apples.

Now if you look at true legit street driven and street legal cars that run the drag curcuit, most if not 98% are manual. One of the fastest and record holder for street drag radials was John Shepperd and his maroon eclipse. It was manual and running 9/10s in the quarter mile.