TURBO TURBO TURBO TURBO

Discussion in 'Forced Induction' started by LancerGTS, Aug 10, 2007.

1. Evolve

Evolve Well-Known Member

That's what's confusing me. So as your trying to go fast the needle just stays where it's at (or climbing) as you go into another gear?

I guess i need to take a ride in a fellow So cal'ers CVT car to get what the concept is. I would think that as the CVT is going to find another optimum rpm point (it's new 'gear') that it would at least momentarily lose momentum. guess not.

2. BigSteve

BigSteve Well-Known Member

the CVT DOES NOT SHIFT, the CVt is just like a rubber band that keeps expanding as you press on the gas. it doesnt have gears.. its just 1 gear.

3. BigSteve

BigSteve Well-Known Member

Brian! we need you here to help explain all this! lol

4. Evolve

Evolve Well-Known Member

I get that point. but i didn't know how else to refer to a "shift-point" without you getting butt-hurt.

i know it doesnt shift but i wanna see a cvt boosted to see if it could smoke a 5speed because it doesn't "shift"

5. lancered

lancered Well-Known Member

so is the cvt like a torque convertor on a go cart or tiller??

6. Lancer-Randy

Lancer-Randy Well-Known Member

brian please help. cvt stays redline, when u use the paddle shiffters its like a maual trany but w/o the clutch.

7. jazket

jazket Well-Known Member

Oh I have to pay attention at the RPM needle I havent really noticed the shift change in my CVT if there is... if you guys are saying its only 1 shift then the needle wont come down and back up again! but Mitsubishi says it CVT was only a smoother shift transition on auto... at least thats what I read when I was doing my homework b4 buying my car...

8. eg6motion

eg6motion Well-Known Member

in tipronic you won't even lose power since you don't take your foot off the gas...but CVT turbo would be scarry IMO....max boost and max power until you let off the gas in D mode....makes you shiver a little inside

9. Guest

Guest Guest

[​IMG]

oh shit looks like the drag circuit is gonna go CVT! :lol:

10. JDM FLOW

JDM FLOW Well-Known Member

Phil, you crack me up!

11. Guest

Guest Guest

thats what Im here for.

12. stronz73

stronz73 Well-Known Member

LOL! Dat shit is funny Big Dawg. But sticking to the "TOPIC", for anybody thats so eager for turbo, i would wait, because even though there is a lot of hype around RRM turbo project, thats all it really is right now is hype. Im gonna wait. Who knows maybe the Mitsubishi turbo rumors will actually pop up, and that wont void any warranties for anybody that is worried about that.

13. eg6motion

lol, the track will be littered with broken rubber-bands :lol:

14. lancered

so it is like a torque convertor in lamen terms.like a go cart.

15. SeRious08

SeRious08 Well-Known Member

According to your theory, the CVT should be faster than the 5 Speed stock as well. But guess what? Its not!!!

Not only that, sources from Japan have noted that the CVT probably won't be able to hold more than 6 psi.

16. jazket

jazket Well-Known Member

Huh!?? sources from Japan? can you post your (those) sources plz?

17. eg6motion

its slower because the MT guys have the ability to rev the engine and drop the clutch off the line.

18. lancered

/\ we can also wind out the gears too

19. eKtor

eKtor Well-Known Member

I see were are you guys coming from with the CVT theory, and it does make sense.. you just have to get out of the mentallity of "manuel pwnzzz seeVT d00d!!111" and try to make sense a bit.... now it also makes sense that its not going to hold a lot of boost... using that same rubber band/go-kart example, it makes sense to say that it was designed to hold only so many power, and then the "rubber band" will break... if that is the case, then we would have to try a manual and a cvt with the same amount of low boost and see who takes it... i would guess that off the line the manual will hop first, but then the cvt eventually would catch up...

answering the questions about the CVT... yes, the scooter/go-kart example is the best way to explain it.. sure it works different but thats the exact feeling you get when you are FOT.... when you floor the CVT it starts at 2-3.5kRPMs and goes up to right before redline and stays there while the speed of the car builds up... the downfall of it is that the lower end lags bawls IMO cause you cant "launch" it like a manual...

hope this helped a little...

having owned a 150cc scooter helps to explain this shizznit :lol: :lol: :lol:

20. lancermike

lancermike Well-Known Member

i know street racing isnt supported but i had a lil fun with my 5 speed and the cvt i raced the cvt test car from the dealer i called my boy out and he took it out of the lot and we went on the highway beeped thre times and in the end i came out on top by about 3/4s to a 1/2 a car