TURBO TURBO TURBO TURBO

Discussion in 'Forced Induction' started by LancerGTS, Aug 10, 2007.

1. grizbone

grizbone Well-Known Member

Funny, i know 2 brothers that have very nice supras one is auto and the other is 5-speed. Both turbo, and the 5-speed wins everytime.

And most cars at the track are automatic because they get more consistant times, not because they are "faster"

2. Fokado

Fokado Member

If you're talking about stock cars, I said tuned turbo cars. It won't make enough of a difference with a restrictive stock setup, so they would be about even. I'm talking about cars that are not stock.

If you're talking about tuned cars then the comparison is irrelevant because they would have to be tuned to exactly the same specs.

Automatic tuned turbo cars are faster than manual tuned turbo cars, it's simple logic.

3. grizbone

Well it may be simple logic for you, but in my experience having known plenty of people with supra's, 300zx's and such down to even eclipses and having driven most of them and seen them in action at the track, manuals have always had the upper hand.

But I'll agree to disagree.

The simple logic of it is, no one here has a cvt-turbo and manual-turbo lancer to compare. So no matter what logic, examples, comparison, best guesses are done.

No one knows.

4. Fokado

Fokado Member

That much we can agree on, no one knows at this point.

5. SeRious08

SeRious08 Well-Known Member

So please explain to me (in a different thread) why most of the current track records were set in standard transmission cars?????

Please keep this about RRMs turbo.

6. grizbone

Sorry serious, go turbo's!

7. Fokado

Fokado Member

What current track records? what class? what track? are they turbo or N/A?

There could be a thousand reasons, its a lot harder to build an automatic transmission that can handle high HP than it is to build a manual that can handle high HP, maybe it's a daily driver and they want a manual, maybe they bought the car with a manual and just built it up because it was cheaper than changing the transmission, the list goes on. I'm not saying manual turbo cars can't be fast, but build 2 identical 1000hp TURBO cars, one with auto and one with manual, and I 100% guarantee the auto will be faster in a straight line.

Most serious track cars are automatic, for the reasons I stated earlier plus others, like its easier to control wheelspin in an auto car than it is in a manual.

I'll stop now :p.

8. angryGTS

angryGTS Well-Known Member

Eh, not always, I know on the 3g Eclipse the a similarly set up turbo 5 speed was faster in a 1/4 mile, although the automatic actually fares better on a dig than the 5 speed, the automatics have less wheel spin mainly because its not getting as much power to the ground as the 5 speed

11.xx Club

11.84 @ 123.17 - M - ? - Matt (SDS 18psi)

13.xx Club

13.47 @ 96.28 - M - Fed - Rulez (Turbo 5.8psi)
    13.48 @ 108.00 - A - Cali - Ryu (Turbo 10psi)

Notice the 13 second cars they post a very similar time but the auto is running a higher PSI.

Ok done with that, back on topic........ I hope they get alot of miles put in on testing this kit, they need to go on some long distance trips with a lot of in boost runs to see how it holds up to the added heat and the FMIC blocking the radiator, although I dont see a problem it seems we have enough air flow through the front of the car and the turbo being in the back should help alot too

9. SeRious08

Lets look at the class that we only care about. Ever heard of John Shepherd???

He holds the record as the Worlds Fastest Street Legal 4 Cyl Car.

7.70 seconds @ 191.32 mph in a standard transmission.

I don't see any autotragics doing that!! :roll:

10. Fokado

Fokado Member

Again, neither this nor the 13 second class records prove anything, because there is no comparison car. I never said manuals can't be fast, great for this guy if he built an incredibly fast car. The only reason his car can handle that kind of HP is because his transmission is 100% custom. Which is again cheaper than building a high HP automatic, I can see why he went manual.

The world's fastest street legal car is automatic, I'm pretty sure.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iAtSSkjBvT0
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YtxfbxGz1u4
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W20xYe9aVeg

I stick by my statement of building 2 identical 1000hp cars, one with auto and one with manual, the auto will be faster.

11. grizbone

Again, lets agree to disagree.

Neither side is going to concede, never had never will. You like autos, we like manuals, and we're done here.

Again yay turbos!

12. ROCK

ROCK Well-Known Member

We will have it back tomorrow. Basically in kit form we made about 90 extra h.p. I think we will be happy with that and start putting miles down on it so we can pull it, install on CVT and start all over again. Then we can go into production from there. We also need to make a version for our 2.4 liter GTS which will be out at dealers shortly. Busy, busy, busy.

ROAD/RACE

13. Bayurea

Bayurea Well-Known Member

hey rock once you start on the Cvt how long will that take to finish up , do you think it will be out by summer or b4 ? oh also how is the sound on the turboed lancer? cant really get a good listen from the vids

14. angryGTS

The 13 sec cars have the same mods, same turbo set up, except the auto is running a higher psi, so how is there no comparison?

15. angryGTS

Put some good long distance trips in and run the hell out of it!!!!!!!!!!

16. DirectorSe7en

DirectorSe7en Well-Known Member

Any updates on when this will be available??

17. eKtor

eKtor Well-Known Member

BTW i just noticed (might of being a long time ago but) why was thins moved to the RRM section? i think this is a general talk of a turbo, not a proprietary thread about RRM... this monopolizes the thread to just RRM...

let me know if theres in me changing it back to where it was...

18. SeRious08

:roll:

Video 1: 7.76 sec - Still not faster than John Shepherds 7.70 manual
    Video 2: 7.80 sec - Same as above
    Video 3: 6. something but there was no proof that this car was "street legal".

I don't think John Shepherd has to worry about money. I'm sure through all his R&D they knew the manual was faster.

Man, if John Force would have known that automatics were faster, maybe he could have won his 15th Championship! :lol: :lol: :lol:

19. lancered

lancered Well-Known Member

thats enough right there for most of us(me).im definitely happy ith that,good job Rock and RRM. :thumbright:

20. Redline1

Redline1 Well-Known Member

2.4?