Taillight Customization...

Discussion in '8G Lancer - Customization' started by vik2rius, Feb 19, 2008.

1. RedStar

RedStar Well-Known Member

OUCH! So sorry to hear that man :(

I hope we can soon start seeing custom headlights/taillights for our cars so those of us who cannot do it ourselves can go out an buy em.

2. vik2rius

vik2rius Well-Known Member

nah I didnt have a chance to take a pix of the "almost melted one"...all it did was shrink the tail light by deforming the screw area and yes i only work on one of the four...but still that about $150 from the dealer...

but i manage to re-fit it back by using a mini torch so it will fit back in the assembly... good thing its not noticeable that its messed up...

il try to post a pix later on...

3. eKtor

eKtor Well-Known Member

i didnt have time to do this today.. but 300 is way too much... 250 is the ideal for headlights.. now ive been saying for the longest time that the tail lights do not use the same glue than the head lights... the heads use like a silly putty type of glue that softens with heat.. the tail lights have a crazy glue type of glue that hardens forever... this is why ive been afraid all this time to do it lol.. ive had the materials for over a month now and every time im gonna do it i chicken out

4. vik2rius

yeah i know 300 is too much but, its all about the timing...i put 300 at 8 min and this what happens good thing it didnt turn out too bad...
    at least i had the jollies to do it...its all about trial and error...

5. lancered

lancered Well-Known Member

man i tried this 3 days ago at 170 for 15 minutes..didnt work.i thought it was soft enough and tried to pry it apart and ended up breaking off a piece :? .im gladd it was just a small piece,i used super glue to put it back on,you cant even see it but i chickened out after that,..but THAT SUCKS you melted ur taillight.dang,try EBAY man, ive seen a couple auctions for oem taillights.

6. vik2rius

heres my damaga tail light after i torch it for re-fitting

[​IMG]

this is how it looks like when i placed it back good thing i was able to screw it back on

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

good thing it wasnt that bad

7. pimpinfern

pimpinfern Well-Known Member

what if u take a dremel to it and cut it out from the back?

8. XxLaNcErGTSxX

XxLaNcErGTSxX Well-Known Member

If you give it awhile companys will start coming out with taillights

9. delphium_

delphium_ Well-Known Member

Hahah, everyone solution for a Mod is wait
    Lol some people are as impatient as me!!
    Waiting is for suckers!!!
    Why not risk messing your car up ;p

hahaha nah i'll wait
    :D

10. AeJarrotto

AeJarrotto Well-Known Member

damn, at least you could get it back on. i really wanted to try this but that voice in the back of my head kept saying why would i want to put pieces of my new car in a oven. and the one that reminds me i work maximum hours for minimum wage. :lol: buying a car is fun.....

props to you for having some serious balls to try it though. glad it did not f...it up.

11. delphium_

delphium_ Well-Known Member

thats exactly what i'm looking for!!!
    someone that'll hire me fulltime to work just to pahy off my car and insurance lol

***ah excuse me i'm a littl;e messsssed up sorry if i talk all dumn lol :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :D :D :D :D

12. RedStar

RedStar Well-Known Member

I will be going down to California (Sacramento) this may and my car will be left in unplesent areas. (thats where my family lives) so if my car does get messed up and such i guess that means untill insurance will fix what is damaged i will play around with custom mods so that when the insurace does take it into shop and fixes it all, ill have a clean car to pimp and know how to do it! :D

13. vik2rius

i guess nobody followed in my footstep in customizing the taillight eh... :D :D :D

14. ChokingChicken

ChokingChicken Well-Known Member

Sorry man. Everyone must be as scared as i am now to try anything else

15. DirectorSe7en

DirectorSe7en Well-Known Member

+1 Same here.

16. darklancer

darklancer Well-Known Member

so i can we just vynal the out side???...cuz i might wana try that with my white SE..and if not ill try to figure somthing out....if i have the balls lolz shes only a week old today...HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ZOE HAPP....ill sing quitly in my head

17. DaytonaLancer

DaytonaLancer Well-Known Member

I saw on Ebay, that someone was selling a pair of stock tail lights off an Evo X. The seller said, it was switched for an aftermarket set. I wonder if the tail lights for the Evo X are the same for the Lancer, then we could just buy those and put em on.

18. vik2rius

the evo x tail light really looks exactly like our 9Gs but since the back part of the evo is a lot wider than ours...it maybe somewhat different...the same goes for the headlight...

but dont worry guys i havent given up on customizing my tails...ill proly use a dremel to separate the cover from the housing...maybe in the next few weeks...

19. Bryn1987

Bryn1987 Well-Known Member

y didn't u just use a dremel in the first place? just a thought...

20. KRU

KRU Well-Known Member

yeah the tail lights r NOT bonded together the same way as the front.

try www.car-parts.com and type in what ur looking for. You might be able to pick up xtra tail lights for cheap and then disassemble with having some 4 back ups.