supercharger for lancer 2008

Discussion in 'Forced Induction' started by evo_x_gts, Nov 21, 2007.

1. bf360

bf360 Well-Known Member

ripp is not making a supercharger, neither is works

2. vik2rius

vik2rius Well-Known Member

there used to be a mechanic that has cobalt ss where I work and I really like the setup of the supercharger, it also had an intercooler...i asked him how fast his ride was and told me about 240-220hp...not bad consider regular cobalt has about 140hp stock...just forgot what kind of s/c does he have...too bad he totalled it last december...

3. bf360

bf360 Well-Known Member

sure it wasnt a cobalt ss, which comes stock with 200 and a supercharger

4. Mitsu008

Mitsu008 Well-Known Member

yea the cobalt has an eaton 85 SC if im not mistaken, but anyways i think iu supercharger would work good on the CVT lancers :wink:

5. grizbone

grizbone Well-Known Member

cobalt ss's dont go 240. The saturn ion redline (which is built on the same platform) that was built specifically to attack and set the land speed record did. Not the production model.

6. bf360

bf360 Well-Known Member

240 hp lmao

7. vik2rius

vik2rius Well-Known Member

wow guess i made a stir about the cobalt ss...did i mention this guy was a rich-ass mechanic...his dad has as an extra garage in our building where he keeps his 2 dodge pythons, a carousel, and a couple hot imports...and thats just the dad...think about that kid of his...

that is why i know his running about 240hp on his cobalt ss...the setup wasnt stock...it has something more in that ss of his...

8. BlueGTS

BlueGTS Active Member

Um, if its a car that comes stock with a S/C all he has to do is change the pulley to grab that 20-40hp. Now, did we get confirmation that Ripp is not going to make one? They made one for 2 generations of lancers including the Ralliart. I wonder why they won't carry on with the new Lancer.

9. bf360

bf360 Well-Known Member

i personally talked to them and they will not be, at this time anyway, the current lancer sales dont show enough support to warrant them putting time into the 08 lancer

10. BlueGTS

BlueGTS Active Member

Well, I did read that less than 100k were sold last year, and it's picked up this year, but Mitsubishi's market share is less than Hyundai now I think, so it will take a real enthusiast company to do it, ie. RRM and Works, but they are doing turbos.

11. angryGTS

angryGTS Well-Known Member

Superchargers might not "lag" but you have to remember full boost wont be in effect until higher up in the RPM range close to redline(centfrugal type but most if not all supercharger types work the same way).

12. testpilotx15

testpilotx15 Well-Known Member

it really all depends on what you want out of it. generally speaking, turbos are better for higher end applications whereas a supercharger is generally going to boost your lower end, and considering how crappy the low end of the power band is on this car, I'd rather a s/c. and do notice i said generally for all of that.

13. eKtor

eKtor Well-Known Member

Why not both??? VW did it already :roll:

14. angryGTS

Its all personal preference between supercharging and turbocharging, both have their strenths and weaknesses, if the engine was bigger and more than four cylinders Id probably test out a supercharger, but most likely not on a little 2liter, although that generally smooth powerband a superchager generally puts out would be pretty nice, just not on a little 2 liter engine IMO.

15. BlueGTS

BlueGTS Active Member

Why not? The flow characteristics of this engine are kick ass...in the front and out the back, not like most configurations in the back out the front an down under the engine! :idea:

supercharge it man! see what happens.

16. angryGTS

Just a personal preference I guess, Id rather have a properly sized turbo that will spool rather quickly, but not too fast, and not to mention the rediculous amount of added heat a supercharger will add under my hood(even more than a small turbo, especially an Eaton/Roots type supercharger)

17. BlueGTS

BlueGTS Active Member

LOL ADDED HEAT? What do you think a turbo does? Why do you think you need to have the highest quality oil and 91/93 octane gas for a turbo, or even a supercharger...that is a weak argument...because its hot!, whaaa...then don't get a turbo either. I have owned a turbo, I know a little bit about this.

18. angryGTS

Duh, I said turbos add heat as well but an Eaton/Roots type have in the past been known for added heat like I said before MORE heat than a turbo that will put out the SAME power a similar sized supercharger will, maybe I should have said that the first time. Just a personal preference, if you want to supercharge your car go right ahead make a sick custom job with a cenfrugal type, it would have some good top end power when it hits full boost near redline

19. Payload

Payload Well-Known Member

i remember a few people had superchargers on their CE lancers over here.. they went well.. took out V8's every day of the week down the 1/4 on stock tyres but they had major wheel spin.

The way i see it is at least with a turbo you have some time to get moving before the boost hits, wheel spin doesnt seem as bad comparing t/c and s/c models with about same power.

Either way you get an awesome sound. S/c and that whine it makes as it spools up is the best though im a sucker for a bov especially those plumb back ones that make a flutter kind of sound ... druel.

20. angryGTS

Ya I agree wheelspin on a s/c car isnt as bad as a t/c car because the boost is gradual up until redline when it is at full boost, not like a t/c car where it comes at once(depending on setup). But an LSD would certainly help on the wheel spin