Short Ram Intake effect without buying anything!!

Discussion in '8G Lancer - Performance' started by HomieG, Sep 24, 2007.

1. gatzaraki

gatzaraki Well-Known Member

^good luck then,there is no worst deft that the one who don't want to listen...
    it's just a saying :lol:

2. HomieG

HomieG Well-Known Member

haha alrite....
    jus waiting for the cold air man.....untill then im sure nothing is going to happen....
    done it on the previous cars i've had and my rnds cars too.....doesnt do anything....

3. bras_33

bras_33 Well-Known Member

1. You are getting engine heat going into your "intake"
    2. The "silencer" you removed is used for getting cooler air into the airbox.
    3. You need ambiant cooler air to get the combustion chamber to burn properly.
    4. When there is something wrong with your car and you take it to the dealer, be sure to replace the "silencer."

Thats my .02

4. lancered

lancered Well-Known Member

i did the same thing to my lancer,it didnt make a difference i think.just made it louder.i agree on the quicker response cuz it is restricting but it does suck hot air.ill just wait for the BIG guys to make a full CAI into the front of the car.

5. SeRious08

SeRious08 Well-Known Member

Are you freakin nuts??!! 99% of those that run the RRM still leave that part in to draw fresh air to the filter. They just remove the air box. Seriously man, I think you are hurting it more than you are helping it. Oh well, its your car.

6. chetman7

chetman7 Well-Known Member

ur supposed to remove that plastic air dam if u have an SRI. it serves no purpose if u have it on

7. HomieG

HomieG Well-Known Member

thank you chetman!!!
    you guys need to chill out.....i never said you have to do it...
    i did it....im happy....my car....
    lol

8. chetman7

I acutally lef the air dam on at first, but then i had three mechanics tell me it was useless and laughed at it. technically their right...if u left the air dam on with the filt box...its a CLOSED filter box. it could actually use the suction to draw air, now that u've taken it out for the SRI...u've broken the seal of suction and therefore useless

9. HomieG

HomieG Well-Known Member

atleast we have some1 here who knows what they r tlking about......

10. WillieetheOne

WillieetheOne Well-Known Member

Yep the SEAL!! thats the trick keep it sealed haahh, sorry just ranting a little if you have the SAI from RRM awesome, if you want to wait for the CAI even better show patience heh. But its everyone choice and Homie has mad his im tryin it out this weekend. But Homie where can you get the mesh KENTS or Canadian Tire? Good work and if you have any other ideas bring them up its always a good debate.

11. chetman7

theoretically I should be right.

think of a vacuum with a huge space between it and the hose.....its not gonna suck anything up very well is it??

so...no need to laugh..its a plausible theory

12. HomieG

HomieG Well-Known Member

ya its jus car mesh that i used.....u could use other mesh's with smaller gaps in between too....i jus had some lying around my garage....bought it from my asian dealer....who i buy all my stuff from....im sure u can find it at CT or u can buy some mesh from home depot too...hope that helped...i jus put a pulley in from RRM last night....and WOW....car screams now and the response is even better.....cant wait for a CAI!!!! :D

13. WillieetheOne

WillieetheOne Well-Known Member

Hey sry Chetman was not laughing at you was just joking in general you are right actually. A vaccum requires a sealed space and if you dont have one you can ever get proper suction. So the RRM or the Standard air box will work. The magic factor is the air temp. So in my opinion the standard box would actually be alittle better its acting like a heat shield and air cools as it flows. I dont know but thats my 2 cents.

14. mitsuman

mitsuman Guest

Multiple holes under intake

What are the holes on the bottom of the air intake(flip the piece that's pictured previously over)? Water drainage? I thought about putting a big piece of tape over these holes to create more air suction. I also thought about cutting the silencer off and plugging it too.

15. chetman7

I would believe its for water..dunno wat else it could be

16. bras_33

We are all just giving you suggestions, theories and opinions. Because another person agrees with you, doesnt necessarily make you right. All we are giving you is an explanation of how we think it maybe good or bad to what you are doing with the intake. I dont know what type of experience you have with tuning or with motors, so I am not bashing you. Your design is out of the normal upgrade and its working for you.

17. HomieG

HomieG Well-Known Member

thats kool bras.....do have knowledge about tuning cars.....so im sure im right....u might not think so....but thats kool...
    been dealing with car stuff for yrs now....but thanx for letting me kno the stuff that could go wrong.....but im pretty sure i could fix it if it were to happen.....
    u need to chill out bud.....stop taking stuff so personally....
    i didnt mention ur name.......did i....? :?

18. bras_33

^Non taken, I felt that I needed to do that so it doesnt get out of hand and feelings get hurt. As for me, I have been tuning for years as well both na and forced induction.

19. Guest

Guest Guest

holy f**k shit balls guys!!!

Dog pile on HomieG! LMAO!

Look- HomieG, its obvious that you have ruffled some feathers on here and it seems that we have all taken this personal. Lets face it we wouldnt b on here if we didnt take our hobby(our Lancers) personal.
    You have every right to do what you like to your ride an as well every 1 is to. However when you post something as i have learned, you are open for any type of responce. As the Author of the post you have to be able to take the real bad with the AWESOME!
    I give you props for trying new things. Dont get me wrong- I wouldnt follow but hey who gives a crap anyways. We are supposed to be here to have fun! I guess it would have helped you if you were to do a comparison of air temps and a flow chart. I know I know a lot of work, but if your gonna post you need to have back up.
    Well enough of me rambling on. Have fun and be safe!

20. HomieG

HomieG Well-Known Member

tis all good man....diff ppl have diff way of doing things....u kno wut i mean....anyways...
    wut'd u drive b4 this?