RRM Pulley and oil leak

Discussion in '8G Lancer - Performance' started by 08LanceRage, Apr 14, 2008.

1. Nemo420

Nemo420 Well-Known Member

so you put a total of 15-20k miles on your car after installing the pully?

2. RALLIART

RALLIART Well-Known Member

today after class i am switching out my pulleys, just to be safe, for now, although i am keeping my RRM pulley, so i dotn want to couse a panic. i will take pics later on and post

3. Dukekid0987

Dukekid0987 Well-Known Member

So seeing as its mits problem do we just sit and wait till we get an oil leak or just take it to them and tell them whats going on :?:

4. faracinman2

faracinman2 Well-Known Member

this makes me sketchy about putting my pulley on... I just got it a few days ago...

5. KRU

KRU Well-Known Member

hmmmm! seems to me Mitsu bit the big one again.

6. 08LanceRage

08LanceRage Well-Known Member

the After market pulley had 15,000 to 20,000 miles on it .

9,000miles with the stock pulley, then i put the pulley rrm pulley on and drove it for 15,000 to 20,000 miles

7. Bryn1987

Bryn1987 Well-Known Member

anyone w/ a big groove in their stock pulley wanna call mitsu up and see what they say? =).... recalls ftw ^_^

8. Nemo420

Nemo420 Well-Known Member

alright, cuz right now i have about 4-5k on my pulley and i haven't had a leak yet. keeping my fingers crossed though, but i have took my car out to palmdale and back, i also drive about 80-100 miles a day for work and leisure, and then this past sat went out to long beach and back. so i have done some driving with it on, but you said 15-20k and im only between 4-5k.

9. RALLIART

RALLIART Well-Known Member

here is my RRM pulley

As you see i took my RRM pulley off just to be on a safe side, i noticed that it also has oxidation like the guys above.

[​IMG]

ON THE INSIDE I NOTICED THAT IT HAD SOME OIL, You can even see it in this picture.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. Dukekid0987

so whats everyone doing taking this problem to the dealer or just waiting for the recall :?:

11. RedStar

RedStar Well-Known Member

I will be taking it to the dealership in bout an hour or so and inform them of the issue. So that when this does fuck up and if it flys off or something and my motor gets fucked they cant say "Hey you never told us when the problem was little"

12. Dukekid0987

yeah ill be doing the same also

13. Wasper

Wasper Well-Known Member

I think I decided to leave the RRM pulley in place for now. My reasoning is that if the seal has already worn-in to the RRM pulley, it might cuase even more ill-effects if I pull it out and then put the steel pulley in its place. I figure that Ill either damage the seal removing the RRM pulley, or the steel pulley will rub even harder against the seal, cuaseing it to fail faster, becuase it has closed up some during the wearing process.

I think I will wait untill I either see some oil leaking, or untill there is a recall, then I will switch back to stock before I bring it in.

I keep saying "I think" cuase I dont know if this is the right decission or not, lol

14. Evolve

Evolve Well-Known Member

All i know is that because of this thread. Each time i back out of my parking spot from work or my house i check to see if my car left an oil spot.

hahah

15. JDM FLOW

JDM FLOW Well-Known Member

Should the people with the stock pullyies in be worried? or just wait till Mitsu does a recall?

16. Evolve

Evolve Well-Known Member

according to some folks their stock pulley is showing the same signs of wear that the RRM pulley is.

so yea. i'd be worried regardless

17. RedStar

RedStar Well-Known Member

went to the dealership. They said they cannot do anything untill the oil leak occures due to warrenty rules. They probly hope that your warrenty will end b4 the issue occures so they dont need to fix it for free. BASTARDS!

18. Evolve

Evolve Well-Known Member

did the guy you spoke to act like he didnt know WTF you were talking about?

Did you let him know that this is a MAJOR concern for all lancers?

kinda curious what you said. Im not doubting you, though. just wanna know how the convo went.

19. Texas Aggie

Texas Aggie Well-Known Member

20. JDMhammer

JDMhammer Well-Known Member

this thred is making me almost shit myself... I have going on 25k miles on my car with no issue yet... ::knock in wood:: tomorrow im going to hit my buddies shop and take a look at my stock pulley that has all 25k miles on it. Ill keep your guys updated with my findings..