RRM Pulley and oil leak

Discussion in '8G Lancer - Performance' started by 08LanceRage, Apr 14, 2008.

1. RALLIART

RALLIART Well-Known Member

if thats so, they should send out a replacement for all the people who have the pulley already.

2. Wasper

Wasper Well-Known Member

^

Well, Rock responded to this duplicate thread over at Evom... so I asked him what type of aluminum they used. Aircraft grade usually denotes its in the 2000-series grade of aluminum... which is an alloy tha is a blend of aluminum and copper. there are many grades within the 2000-series. Hopefully he will respond so I can look into the materail to see if it may have contributed to the problem.

3. darklancer

darklancer Well-Known Member

oh this will be fun...i talked to the car tuner shops here and their baffled at why rrm would make an aluminum one for our cars aperintly they had the same problem with the s2000 in 03 anything over 30000 k on it ouwld leak and if you left it to 50k then they had 3 vehicles were the pulley actualy broke from the grove and damaged the engine bcouse it was lashing around inside... but on the same note.. they dont have any available pullley systems for lancers ..kinda useless

4. Wasper

Wasper Well-Known Member

To the original poster...

I just noticed something... is that oxidation on your pully, or did you paint it? From the pics, it almost looks like you painted it black... and if so, did you paint the shaft aswell?

5. RALLIART

RALLIART Well-Known Member

^ yeah thats is al lot of oxidation, my pulley still looks brand new and i had it on my car for over 7 months now or something like that.

That also could be all tha oil that leaked out and dirt just stuck on too it.

6. Wasper

Wasper Well-Known Member

^ it almost looks to uniform to be just oil and dirt.. looks more like it was painted and then the oil/dirt chipped away at the paint. If it was painted, and the shaft was painted aswell, maybe thats what cuased the problem? I imagine paint rubing against the seal would cuase unforseen problems.

I digress though.. we wont know for sure untill the OP tells us if he painted it or not.

7. Bryn1987

Bryn1987 Well-Known Member

hmm... i guess this is gonna make me cross off the pully from the list... it was actually gonna be prob one of the first mods -_-

+1 on thinking it was painted...

8. BrianRRM

BrianRRM Well-Known Member

this groove issue seems to be native to the 4b11. we pulled the stock pulley off our test car with 4,000 miles and found the same groove. because this is a new motor mitsu probably dosent realize the engine has this main seal problem. we will inform mitsu of the problem. no matter which pulley u have stock or not there is going to be a leak issue over time. we will discuss the options with our CNC guy for further pullies but no need to change it yet since there is only one reported case of a leaky seal.

[​IMG]

9. Bryn1987

^ oh ohs, this doesn't sound good :(... recall on mitsu pullies ftw? :roll:

10. Wasper

Wasper Well-Known Member

Ewww....

Ok, so now the question that begs to be answered... do you

A: Leave your RRM pulley on and let it get destroyed ?

.. or

B: Put the stock pulleyback on, let that get destroyed, wait for Mitsu to do a recall on the seal, get a new seal and possibly a new stock pulley... and THEN reinstall your RRM pully ?

I'll take option B thank you very much....

EDIT***

I took a close look at my stock pulley.. It was only in the car for about 2,500 miles and you can see the start of the wear line on the shaft. This is nowhere near as bad as the ones seen so far, but it definitly was starting to wear... and if it did this on steel in 2,500 miles, then my RRM pulley with 12,000 miles on it must look like crap (car has about 14,500 on it now.)

heres a pic (the line looks darker in person, I just have a real crappy digi camera)

[​IMG]

11. DaytonaLancer

DaytonaLancer Well-Known Member

yea, i just checked my stock pulley and I am seeing the same thing. There isnt a grove, but there definitely is a visible ring, like Wasper was saying. I also had my stock pulley on for about 2500 miles. Here are some better pics to see what were talking about.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

12. Nemo420

Nemo420 Well-Known Member

how many miles did put on the RRM pully before it started leaking oil?

13. Bryn1987

can someone please post their RRM pulley w/ around 2k+ miles see if there's a noticeable wear?

14. lancered

lancered Well-Known Member

this concerns me,here is my stock pulley at around 7000-7500 miles.right now my odometer reads close to 12,050.as of 1 year!!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

15. Evolve

Evolve Well-Known Member

this issue is bigger than RRM. If Mitsu just sits on their hands for this ill be very pissed.

if you can see wear on the stock one i can only imagine what my RRM pulley may look like.

16. lancered

lancered Well-Known Member

im definitely switching mine out to see how it looks.

17. darklancer

darklancer Well-Known Member

hmm 2000 k on mine i should check it out....ill see if i have time to pull mine off

18. 08LanceRage

08LanceRage Well-Known Member

no its oil and dust, i did not paint it

19. 08LanceRage

come to think about it before the mechanic put the stock BACK on idid notice the Stock pulley ahda light groove in it as well just like your picture !!!

20. 08LanceRage

15,000 to 20,000 on RRM pulley i think