Question with MPG

Discussion in '8G Lancer - General Information' started by jRox, Dec 10, 2007.

1. DaytonaLancer

DaytonaLancer Well-Known Member

You dont know what engine braking is?

Basically its the friction caused by the whole drivetrain system, and that slows down the car. If you rev all the way up in 1st gear, and then clutch into neutral, you keep that speed very well and you will coast pretty far. But if you keep it in gear, you will loose speed considerably because of engine braking.

2. FinestGTS

FinestGTS Well-Known Member

So when i coast to a light in neutral im actually doing damage to the engine?

i thought he ment engine breaking as in people downshiftign to break.

3. Evolve

Evolve Well-Known Member

^put it this way.

Engine braking is using your engine to "assist you" in slowing down. Notice when you're REALLY high in the RPMs if you just release the pedal, the car slows down on it's own slowly but surely? If you engine brake alot, you're looking at wearing out your clutch sooner and it will put minimal wear on your tranny.

I like to coast whenever i can. my logic being that i'd MUCH rather have my disc brakes do the braking as opposed to my engine.

I'd rather pay for brake pads any day then have to pay for a new tranny.

just my .02

4. FinestGTS

Ok that didn't help at all to what i was asking.

usually when im going down hill instaed of me giving gas i just let the car keep rolling in 5th gear white doing like 60miles perhour. he will keep goign at that speed.

or during city driving early 4am. If i see a light go red i just let go of the gas toss it into neutral and let it coast to the light hoping it turns green if not i stop or if it turns green i just put it into gear and get right back on the gas. By me driving like this i get the best mpg instead of constently being on the gas or break.

If you guys are trying to say thossing it into neutral to let your car slow it self down does damage i don't understand y. the car is losing power due to no more acceleration so its just obvisoulsly slowing down natrualy. how would that cause engine damage if thats what you guys are implying?

5. vik2rius

vik2rius Well-Known Member

to make it simple to what i posted

engine braking means using ur engine to slowdown ur car which burns up fuel by a little.
    put ur car to neutral & use your brakes when coming to a stop.
    like what evolve says its better to replace ur brake pads & disc rather than ur tranny & clutch

take note brake means to stop. not break as in destroy it. ok

6. Evolve

Evolve Well-Known Member

no wonder what i said didnt help you. you still don't get the concept.

Re-read what Daytona said. he said what i said, and you don't get what we're BOTH saying. he didnt imply you mess up your engine from coasting.

7. vik2rius

dont worry bro
    not every single driver know what engine braking is. there was a time when i didnt know about it either

8. Evolve

Evolve Well-Known Member

yea man me too. No worries

9. FinestGTS

10. vik2rius

yo finest no prob at all

and back to the main topic
    it will save you some gas putting ur ride in neutral and using ur brakes while going to a stop.
    using ur engine (enigine braking) to slow u down actually burns up gas by a little and wears your tranny little by little

11. FinestGTS

OK, at least i noe i don't engine brake :).

I try to be as fuel eco i can be. i drive 37miles 1 way 7days a week. so i rack up those miles like crazy.

So far the cold temp is killin me. before i was getting 29 to 31mpg when it was like 60 or 70outside, now tha tis like 20 to 40 i get about 27 to 28 :(

12. Evolve

Evolve Well-Known Member

yea coasting whenever possible is the way to go. I've done several canyon runs and that's usually when you'd wanna use some degree of engine braking as you approach new turns. so you don't have all this speed coming at the turn.

but in traffic and especially in the city, i coast to all the stop signs, all the red lights, stop n' go traffic. stuff like that. 8)