My Theory About Aftermarket Intakes

Discussion in '8G Lancer - Performance' started by kinkbmxrydr, Aug 21, 2008.

1. papi2dmamis

papi2dmamis Well-Known Member

Well when I installed my RRM intake I did notice the increase in take off speed, not much at all but better than stock. Also now I'm doing about 2 more miles per gallon, as on any other problems with the intake, none at all.

2. adam710

adam710 Member

Again, I agree with KINK. I just want the best for my car. It was a bit unusual for that bog, hestitation, delay whatever you wanna call it, when it hits 2 RPMS. It didnt seem healthy for the car. I would love to try out K&N SRI if they EVER come out but I think I'm done with SRI after my experience. I am very happy with K&N drop in filter.
    I tried talking to one of the guys at RRM and they kept trying to get me to buy the pulley and piggy to correct the bog or hesitation. It made them look bad that they know that the sri is causing some problems. But, a STRONG but, they have other great produts as well. I would consider buying some dress-ups for the car from them sometime.
    Overall, it was a bad, 1st experience for the both of us, RRM and I. Its all trial and error. Live and Learn.

3. CLEANrideGTS

CLEANrideGTS Well-Known Member

Well i have the RRM pulley as well so maybe thats why i never experienced your problem. I dont have the ECU but who knows... The car appears to be ok and no problems so far. Also, do you have a manual or automatic?

4. adam710

adam710 Member

I have an automatic.

5. eKtor

eKtor Well-Known Member

You guys have to remember something. When a car is made, engineers spend hundreds of thousands of hours and money on research and developing to be able to put together an engine/car the right way. No matter what you think, stock is ALWAYS going to be better over aftermarket in a way or another because the car car was designed to work properly how it was designed. This is mainly on the naturally aspirated cars.

If you dont believe me, as Pedro (LancerGTS) about it. Out of three 1/4 mile runs, the first one he won by a bit, and the other 2 i won.. his car had the RRM intake and pulley, mine is bone stock. PLUS, I am a VERY heavy guy and my GF was in the car on the last run and i still won... ;)

If you want a fast car, the best thing to do is to buy a car that its fast out of the box.... preferably boosted :D

6. Evolve

Evolve Well-Known Member

Sup Kink :D

I've tried 3 different Intake applications for our car and EACH one did it's own special thing. Went from short-ram to cold air, back to short ram. With the proper tuning i imagine better gains can be found.

Each intake (regardless of brand/type) did the job better than stock. Im convinced (by trial n error) that this improves performance

7. Evolve

Evolve Well-Known Member

8. Evolve

Evolve Well-Known Member

In 9glancers.com we broke your story down. NObody else has this problem and it's AMAZING you have all this negative shit to say about the short-ram and yet you're selling this intake on ebay claiming "There is absolutely nothing wrong with this. This is basically a steal for anyone who wins this" Are you exxagerating your experience with the intake or are you a lying ebay seller? It's nice to know that your intake "sputtered, delayed, hesitates" and yet you're trying to sell it off as nothing's wrong with it. Terrible

9. adam710

adam710 Member

Yo Evolve. Thats your opinion and EVERYONE is ENTITLED to have their opinion. Who are you to say what? I experienced it and so have my friends. One of my friends owns a 97 toyota supra thats off the hook. For 4 years he put heart and soul into that car and obviously he knows what he is doing, he drove my car plenty of times before the RRM SRI and he found it odd that I was having the problem with the SRI. He checked installation and nothing appears to be wrong. Yea, we were dumbfounded. Not every car is the same. Am I dissing RRM, no. I will still buy from them. So relax and worry about what you drive. Anybody wants the SRI on ebay for cheap, hell yea for them. thats good to know that you tried 3 different intakes which I think is a waste of money. I am very happy with the k&N drop fillter.

10. Evolve

Evolve Well-Known Member

LMAO. That's the point. You have one opinion stating it's not "healthy for the car, it sputters" then your ebay page says "There's nothing wrong with this"

Of course you can have your own opinion, im just asking why you have two different opinions on the same product.

Your post just makes me aware that anybody selling something that there's "nothing wrong with it" is probably posting somewhere on some site that what they're selling is actually shit and they can't wait for a sucker to buy it.

I only paid full-price for 1 of my 3 intakes. Not a waste. And the countless PM's i get from people wanting my .02 cents on intakes makes it worth it to post about my experiences.

Instead of arguing. why don't you just explain why you have two different outlooks on the same item

11. bras_33

bras_33 Well-Known Member

Also keep in mind many factors, transmission, altitude, temperature, uphill, tire inflation blah, blah, blah. If these factors were in effect, would the results be the same? maybe, maybe not. I am assuming all this was done on booty hp?

12. GTS_Lancer

GTS_Lancer Well-Known Member

Im not sure who is correct or incorrect. But i have an injen CAI and it seems to me like my car is getting more hp and im definitely sure that i have been gettin 2-3 mpg.

bras_33 wrote:
    i also think bras is right about other factors. But who knows maybe one day i will try out when i feel like but my stock intake back on. Good question tho dude.

13. jc

jc Well-Known Member

i think intakes do make a difference some how. my friend has a Tc and we would always race and he would win and i would win.. but as soon as i put the injen CAI i always win 8O
    so? im guessing it makes the difference.

14. Dabrits

Dabrits Well-Known Member

BUMP

I think it is pretty much a proven fact that upgraded intake systems do improve performance. Yes the car was engineered to operate under certain parameters, that's great. But increased airflow is simply better. Although not a perfect comparison, think of it this way, if you have naturally high cholesterol (that runs in many gene pools), you may not be at peak performance. Just because your body came "stock" one way, doesn't mean that it cannot be improved upon, ie, clearing out obstacles to blood flow.

Anyway, sorry for the bump. I don't normally like to resurrect dead threads, but I couldn't help myself this time.

15. Keeeent

Keeeent Well-Known Member

Injen CAI ftw

16. lancer2quick

lancer2quick Well-Known Member

Re:

i had the same thing happen to my r/a. pulls hard until 2500, then hesitates until 2800. after 28oo pulls hard then at 3500, MIVEC comes in and really pulls until 6800. but one other thing that happened...the stock idle speed for the o4 r/a is 750rpm. after the intake install, idle would drop to around 200..then goes up to 500. i thought it was just my ride...but then i made a custom 3" cai...no problems in 2 years. and i'm not knocking rrm's parts, i have PLENTY still installed...i just think its kinda wierd. any thoughts??

17. Answer

Answer Member

Sorry to bring this tread back up, but I am experiencing the same hesitation as Adam described with my 09 GTS.

Anybody has the RRM V2 intake on a 2.4? Could this be related as the intake was first designed for the 2.0?

This bog/hesitation was not there during winter when the stock intake was put back on. Seems to have appeared couple days after having the RRM SRI installed. I will remove it this week-end to see if it once again goes away.

Adam, would you happen to have a Canadian Lancer? I know that the Canadian ECU is weird/detuned, maybe this could be the cause?

Oh, just to make it crystal clear, RRM is a good company and I'm not saying their SRI is not good, I'm just trying to find out what could cause the hesitation by getting some other owner's input and trying to match different variables.

18. enkrypter_DJ

enkrypter_DJ Well-Known Member

i got the Weapan R intake , i do get better gas, 7.4l from ottawa to sudbury opposed to 7.9l with stock intake. As for performance i dont notice any changes, mivec feels the same and everything sounds better

19. BringDownTheSky

BringDownTheSky Well-Known Member

this is weird. are all you guys resetting your computer after you put your intakes on? I cant exatly relate to the main problem because my car is an 02, but still I put an AEM cold air intake in my car and I love that thing. now you're not gonna experience huge gains by putting an intake on, it gives you like 2-5 extra HP, but you should be able to feel a difference. although small.
    and hector, Im sorry homie but I totally dissagree. you won because DE's are faster than ES's AND actually alot faster than GTS's, as Ive witnessed many times. Its the weight. A base model car is gonna smoke a much heavier model of the car with the same engine.

20. bras_33

bras_33 Well-Known Member

8O this thread came back from the dead!!!