lancer in snow..

Discussion in '8G Lancer - General Information' started by franchise5star, Dec 2, 2007.

1. FlyingFrenchman

FlyingFrenchman Active Member

A foot and a half of snow here already, 18" Michelin X-Ice tires on OEM rims (CVT), can't complain. Of course, one does not drive on snow like one would on dry pavement. Revving up the engine will get you nowhere, you need to adapt. One thing though, I hate ABS breaks.

2. Trainwrcked

Trainwrcked Member

I had my first experience with the GTS and snow on Monday. I thought it would be halfway decent being FWD (I'm used to RWD). Ya, not so much. I've been driving in NE snow as well for quite a few years and my old truck, '00 Ranger 2WD with sandbags in the back was 5 times better in the snow than the GTS. I was hoping to getting away from spending the money on winter tires, but being NH, I guess I don't have a choice. I was quoted $900.00+ on new crappy, generic rims and good tires. Did anyone else find a better deal and if so, what was the combination that you guys got? Sorry about the novel. :?

3. Wasper

Wasper Well-Known Member

^ I had a 94' 2WD 5sp. Ranger, and that thing was the worst car in the snow ever.... sit a a stop light, light turns green, tires spin for whole light cycle, then light turns red again, lol

I drove my Lancer in some light snow today, Not as bad as I feared reading this thread, but not as good as many of the FWD cars I have owned in the past. The car has the weight, so it goes when you want it to, but that same weight makes it difficult to navigate turns.

I made it all the way home from work, 45 miles, with no incident untill I pulled onto my street. There is a part that has a slight curve to the left on a slight down-grade. About mid-way thru the turn my car decided it didnt want to follow the road anymore and I almost lost it. The antilock brakes kicked in for a second, then I was fine.

My Final verdic on the Lancer in the snow... Let it Flow,Let yer-self Go, Slow and Low, That is the Tempo (Beastie Boys reference for all you youngins :D )

4. Trainwrcked

Trainwrcked Member

^+1 Bonus Point. Nice quote! :D

5. playa213xx

playa213xx Well-Known Member

Last saturday we(buffalo) got hit pretty bad with a snow storm and i drove down one of the main roads here and let me tell you all it was not pretty. Starting off was even worse...we basically have to start it off in second gear if you have a manual just so your tires don't spin out at all.

Buffalo bl0ws!!

6. ARCang3L

ARCang3L New Member

We just bought the ES yesterday and drove thru a little snow on the way home from Morgantown WV. I may have to buy the wifey some winter tires if what you all say is true, altho the 16's will do better than the 18's on the GTS. But we dont need to total another car, altho it worked out nice this time getting the new lancer. She had a 2006 Mazda 3 S touring before this. So much more for the money with the lancer, just smaller engine.

7. darklancer

darklancer Well-Known Member

realy?? i love mine in the snow it has suck a controlable slide..vs my vw jetta that just slid forward no matter wat lol... i like it but i just try to stay under 3.5 rpm it makes it managable...and possibly fun

8. ghost

ghost Member

all i can say is yahhooooo fun car to drive in the snow ...yes i have excellent snow tires it helps but i have had about 10 cars up to today and i can say this is the best one

really had many chances her in quebec to drive in really heavy snow an had many fun times

9. Yeah, this car sucks in the snow if you have the original tires on it! My previous car (an '02 Galant) kicked ass in the snow. This one is like a drunk toddler on roller skates...

It does look cool in the snow though (at least the blue does...)

[​IMG]

10. Karan

Karan Well-Known Member

Speaking of snow, I'm thinking of taking my winter tires off this weekend :)

11. JDMhammer

JDMhammer Well-Known Member

Damn man thats about right...

12. HudsonFalcon

HudsonFalcon Well-Known Member

My Lancer sucks in the snow. 18" + low profile tires = fail.

13. I must say, when I wrote it I was pleased with the comparison :) It's my new favorite line... 8)

14. REDGTS

REDGTS Well-Known Member

get gold rims for your blue lancer, Mitusbishi STI lol

15. spydahman

spydahman Active Member

Don't think I'll drive the car in the winter.
    Winter beater = cheaper than winter tires + rims.