Does YOUR Engine Sound Like This??

Discussion in '8G Lancer - General Information' started by LuvMyLancer, Jan 21, 2009.

1. Greell

Greell Active Member

Yea mine is noisy when cold, but christ thats either the camera picking that up, or it's louder than normal. I mean they are loud, and louder when its cold out---but that does sound like a diesel engine lol.

2. mpirklbauer

mpirklbauer Well-Known Member

sounds a little bit hard.
    my engine runs smoother!

3. The Beav

The Beav Well-Known Member

do you have a MT or AT?

4. jacob1bc

jacob1bc Well-Known Member

why would that matter?

5. The Beav

The Beav Well-Known Member

doesn't the MT run allitle harder when it starts up in the cold... don't really know to much about cars just what i stumble apon... cause mine sounds like that in the morning but after it's warmed up it's not as loud...

6. jacob1bc

jacob1bc Well-Known Member

i think the RPMs are a little higher but nothing serious. maybe like 200 RPM

7. LuvMyLancer

LuvMyLancer Well-Known Member

Mine's the opposite... it's louder after it's been sitting ? lol

8. olvhec

olvhec Well-Known Member

Jacob1bc you mean 2000 right, but yeah its like that and it slowly lowers down until its at 750. That ticking is mighty loud though, it could be the camera but are you sure you have the proper oil thickness and oil level. Mine is loud but the ticking isnt that noticeable.

9. NJ08LancerGTS

NJ08LancerGTS Well-Known Member

that noise is from 2 things

1. It has a solenoid right by the intake which will cause a ticking noise that will go away and come back freq.
    2.The the 4b11 has a timing chain which is really loud, anything with timing chains are loud like that, but fucking MITSU! for 2009 revised the timing chain to be quiter so thats why some people won't have the same loud ticking/knocking sound.

10. Prophet

Prophet Well-Known Member

Mitsu is common to have lifter tick problems but that sounds a little to much. Have you checked our oil? Also what kind of oil are you using?

11. LuvMyLancer

It just had an oil change. I dunno what type the dealership uses other than 5W-20 lol

I dunno it started sounding weird after I crashed it. But the Mitsu guys said other than the rad being bent and body damage the car was fine.

Maybe it's just the cold ??

12. Prophet

It could also have always been there but since your accident you are paying more attention to the car. If you are not throwing any codes and you just had an oil check I am going to toss it up to parnoia...

Do this... go outside topless and check your oil. Take a picture of your dip stick and if I get wood then we are okay... :wink:

13. eKtor

eKtor Well-Known Member

14. LuvMyLancer

Well I wouldn't know if I'm throwin any codes cuz the service light is always on anyway because of my tires. So... who knows...

15. Prophet

Well that ain't good... not sure if you have an autozone in Canada but see if you can get ahold of a code reader and just read it...

16. LuvMyLancer

We sure don't! lol

Who knows... maybe you're right... maybe its all in my head... but I'm not the only one who thinks it sounds weird. That's one of the first thing my ex-bf/mechanic noticed when he came to check out the car right after I crashed it that it sounded fucked up.

But then again it's been like -20 all month... maybe it can't handle the cold ??

17. azn_ghetto

azn_ghetto Well-Known Member

mine sounds like that in that temp as well

myb when its in better weather ill sound better

or i dono if this would work but if u parked it in a heated garage for about an hr and a half or so, myb ill sound better?

18. blkdout1

blkdout1 Well-Known Member

my car is that loud also nothing to worry about i dont hink unless both our cars are messed up lol. mine has the loud tick even when the hood is down

19. LuvMyLancer

Yeah mine's that loud too when the hood is down. I can hear it when I'm in the car too.

20. sneakerhi

sneakerhi Well-Known Member

aww man haha good game...
    well idk ive had my engine running with the hood open and its not loud at all...
    then again i live in cali and weather here doesn't get too cold
    and also i have an 09 im not sure if that matters though