Custom Trunk

Discussion in 'Audio, Security and Electronics' started by MontrealGTS, Jul 21, 2007.

1. Prophet

Prophet Well-Known Member

:lol: bro you haven't upset me. If you had you would know. FG stands for fiberglass.... If you don't want to share that is cool with me. I was just curious about your installs because they look so good. ICE is what I am into before performance when it comes to building my cars. When I see good installs I just have to learn more about them....

2. Guest

Guest Guest

oh ok! I have much respect for this site and like it a lot. If there is anything you need to know or want some info about send me a pm. As far as fiberglass, just make sure you dont mind doing a lot of mud slinging(body filler) and sanding. LMAO! Thats probably the most tedious part.

3. Prophet

Don't get me wrong I have done some small FG work and sanding is probably the most pain in the ass process. People just don't know how much time is required with sanding alone. I just like to work with wood more. My next box I build for my Magnum is going to be painted like this....

[​IMG]

I have been trying to get ahold of the builder of that box but he is up in Canada and has been MIA for awile. I think I have the correct process but I can only know for sure when I am done.

4. Guest

Guest Guest

I just checked that out. Thats nice and ez. U ever use ultralight MDF? if not ya gotta switch. its awesome. well as u probably already know, after you assemble the box just run a router over the edges with a 1/2" round over bit to get the radius edges. Then use a lot of PCL primer and wet sand with 8grit- oh dont forget to fill ur holes from your braid nailer. Then lay ur paint and clear. lastly cut and buff.

The E.D. logo on the box may have been cnc routered out. There r some many ways to do em. For the baffle you should use 2 pieces of wood. This way you can cut one spkr hole big enough with the mounting hole in it and then the top 1 cut out about an 1/16th-1/8th" bigger than the over all diamension of the spkr. This will allow the sub to look flushed in.

But hey you probably know all of this and Im just rambling. Where r u located?

5. Guest

Guest Guest

Here is some fun f/g work i did for Audiobahn in a Navigator. Yes I made the skull in each front door. used precision board to sculpt the skulls and then made a quick set mold and then molded into door panel along with everything else u c there.

6. Guest

Guest Guest

woops I forgot the pic. I need sleep. LOL!

skull.jpg

7. Prophet

I have heard of the light weight MDF but right now I am into SPL so I just don't feel safe using it in my application. lol... I am still old school. I can build the box it is the finish of the paint I am worried about. Most of the time I just carpet it and have done few painted boxes. They have not come out so good so alot of times I just use truck liner paint lol.

I am located up in Northern Cali. Vacaville to be exact. Right smack dab between Sacramento and Frisco. That is awesome work on that Navi. by the way!

8. Guest

Guest Guest

good ole spl cars. I have built a plenty of thoughs. I used concrete in them. Yeah dont ask-LOL!!! A base wood frame work, chicken wire and concrete. Along with Lexan windows and 18 volts and using 4 gauge for spkr wires. Fun days.

What kind of subs and how many. Are you doing a ported enclosure. Well probably so if your going for spl. I would love to help out in any way.

9. bras_33

bras_33 Well-Known Member

I am diggin that skull, f'n cool KRU

10. Prophet

lol... you need to show me a couple of picturs of that set up...

One sub Elemental Designs Spv.2 with ported box tuned to 35hz. Last reading with a term lab was at 145db. Right now it is out of commision...

[​IMG]

... it is going to need a recone.

I was clipping plus low voltage. I need to upgrade the electrical if I decide to keep going SPL with the Magnum. Right now I am at a toss up. lol.. I am not getting any younger and I don't know how much more my ears can take...

11. Guest

Guest Guest

holy crap, it looks like you burped that thing at a 165db! You should make 2 ports for your box. Make them so they can slide out. 80hz-90hz(depending on your cars natural standing wave production) when going for spl and then a 35hz for around town.

thanks for the props bras_33.

12. bras_33

bras_33 Well-Known Member

No prob...I like the simple fact of "if you can dream it, we can build it" I am just amazed how things get done. Especially, out of the norm type of stuff.

13. Prophet

:lol: Yeah that is what eD said too. I think low voltage had a very big part in it. I do this not want to compete just a hobby of mine. If I really wanted to compete I would strap four NINe.1 to that sub and put it in a 5 cube box tuned to 45hz or more. Right now it is only getting one NINe.1 for a total of 1,500 when I can keep it at 14volts.

14. Mitsu008

Mitsu008 Well-Known Member

good stuff