Blacked out the front today.

Discussion in '8G Lancer - Customization' started by Geaux, Mar 23, 2008.

1. Keeeent

Keeeent Well-Known Member

its not hard. trust me, i thought it was but its not. it takes like 10 minutes

2. Geaux

Geaux Well-Known Member

Looks good keeeent, glad I could help out.

Did you paint the mitsu logo or is it red vinyl?

3. Keeeent

thanks bro, couldn't do it with your help. Its red vinyl. *sigh, i wanna get a red one though.

Yeah, i sand it down before i applied the premier. I got the 3M from auto zone. really cheap too. like 3 bucks.

4. ChokingChicken

ChokingChicken Well-Known Member

very nice bro. that's next for me too

5. totalmajor

totalmajor Well-Known Member

hey hold on, so you guys DONT paint that middle part between the grills?

I thought you sand everything down and spray paint it...

so you HAVE to get vinyl?

6. Bryn1987

Bryn1987 Well-Known Member

u don't HAVE to... but remember, if u paint it, it'll be impossible to get the original color back... even painting it u'll notice a difference :(... at least w/ vinyl, u can just simply heat it up w/ like a blow drier and peal it off =)

7. Texas Aggie

Texas Aggie Well-Known Member

how much that go for?

8. Bryn1987

Bryn1987 Well-Known Member

i really have no idea... i'll look right now...

i looked looked and looked... but i guess idk what to search for... someone wanna help us out w/ this, where to buy the vinyl?

9. Texas Aggie

i think i saw something like this on ebay but it was going for about $50...think that's a bit much for a small piece of vinyl...i'm sure the guys got it for cheaper

10. Keeeent

yeah, here it is.
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/08-Mitsu ... 0013783341

11. Texas Aggie

i saw this but isnt that a bit expensive?

12. Geaux

Geaux Well-Known Member

Don't get a precut one, if you do that and mess up, you are shit out of luck. You can buy rolls of this crap for 2 bucks a foot on ebay. Search matte black vinyl or flat black vinyl. Here are some links.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/FLAT...008QQitemZ180210927155QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWD1V

http://cgi.ebay.com/24-X-10-LG-CHEM...ryZ46741QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

10' x 15" and you can sell your own for 50 bucks a pop on ebay haha. Only 8 bucks.
    http://cgi.ebay.com/1-ROLL-10-x-15-...ryZ46741QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I also did a lil something special with the mitsu logo and some left over vinyl I had laying around, I'll get pics of it this weekend and update it, I kind of like it, and haven't seen it done yet.

13. Texas Aggie

oh nice...thx...the same seller has material for smoking out the lights too

14. darklancer

darklancer Well-Known Member

two questions
    so your painting the chrome mesh
    and vynal on the part imbetween right...so is vynal easy to put on should i get somone else to do it? and did you have to take out the mid peice to vynal it??

and just a thought anyway to replace that mid peice with mesh???
    ive been thinking of doing blue glow kit behind the front grill think it would look better if it was one solid grill....thoughts?

15. Geaux

Geaux Well-Known Member

Replace the middle with mesh? I don't know man, I don't think it would look all that great and would be rather difficult to pull it off. It would include cutting the middle piece out and somehow replacing it with mesh to match up.

As for your other questions, yeah I painted the grill and used vinyl to cover the mid section. My bro did the vinyl in like 20 minutes but he used to tint windows back in the day so it was rather easy for him. If you do give it a shot, remember to spray water on the vinyl and the bumper so you can slide it around to make it perfect. Use a tinting squeegee type tool to get the water bubbles out from below and start doing that from the middle out.

good luck

16. darklancer

darklancer Well-Known Member

k sweet man and if i screw it up i ca just blow dry it off right?

17. ChokingChicken

18. Geaux

Geaux Well-Known Member

^ when are you going to do yours man?

19. ChokingChicken

when i finally find a shop that sells vinyl.

I really don't feel like ordering it, and waitin, if you know what i mean, i don't wanna get it, then fuck up and need more.

wait again...

i'm gettin to it lol

20. Texas Aggie

^ lol...that's why i haven't gotten that stuff either. geez...now we can order anything and have it sent to us yet we're still to lazy to wait for it...damn Americans and our impatience...LOL!!!