Blacked out the front today.

Discussion in '8G Lancer - Customization' started by Geaux, Mar 23, 2008.

1. Geaux

Geaux Well-Known Member

Duplicolor Bumper Paint 'Flat Black'

2. Keeeent

Keeeent Well-Known Member

oh btw, how did you paint it? like, did you have to take it out? cause i dont know how to. thanks!

3. Geaux

Geaux Well-Known Member

When you open the hood, take out the 6 or so push buttons (2 of which are screws) that hold the front black thing in the front of the engine bay. Once you remove that, there are 5 screws and some clips to remove from the grill to get that out. I broke all of the clips purposely because they are useless and the screws hold it just fine. Once you get it out, undo the 4 or so screws to remove the mesh and mitsu symbol. When you are left with just the chrome outline, scuff it up with a 400 or higher grit sandpaper until the chrome becomes foggy and not as reflective. After that, hit it with a primer and let dry for 15 minutes. Once that is dry, hit it with 4 or more coats of the flat black duplicolor bumper paint waiting 10 minutes or so inbetween each coat. I really didn't wait that long, just a couple minutes, but 10 is a safe bet to wait.

Hope that helps

4. RedStar

RedStar Well-Known Member

That black evo you have there looks 3D not real! :)

5. Keeeent

That actually helped a lot! Thanks a lot bro! I've notice that the people on this forums are really nice, cause I'm also on a shoe forum and some people are dicks, the mods too. But the mods and members here are nice. props to you guys!

6. Texas Aggie

Texas Aggie Well-Known Member

how would you go about painting the part below the mitsu symbol? just spray on a few times?

7. Killface

Killface Well-Known Member

I can't believe no one caught that shit yet!! Haha! Looks very hot though.

[​IMG]

^ Forza Motorsport 2

8. Geaux

Geaux Well-Known Member

On the grill or the bumper? With the grill, the part behind/below the mitsu sybol is already black. When you take the honeycomb piece out from the chrome, the mitsu symbol and honeycomb come out as one, and nothing needs painting there (unless you want to paint the mitsu symbol). You will be left with just the chrome out line of the grill that you will scuff and paint.

Keeeent: You're welcome bro, anytime. PM me or ask in here if you need anymore help. I kinda wished I would have taken pictures. BTW, I had to take the grill out again to put the black vinyl in, and it was REALLY easy the second time around hah.

9. Texas Aggie

I mean the part that everyone else is painting. the center bumper part...inbetween the mesh grills

10. Geaux

Geaux Well-Known Member

It's not paint, its flat black vinyl.

11. Texas Aggie

oh ok...is there a place you can buy them or just go to a local shop somewhere

12. Geaux

Geaux Well-Known Member

I've heard that you can find rolls of it at Walmart in the auto section or an auto parts store in your area. I drove all over my city looking for it and had no luck, but luckily someone on another board was coming to my town and had a buttload of it, so he gave me some. Try asking some others who have done it where they got it from.

good luck

13. Keeeent

damn, just got done sanding it. took like an hour to finish. i'll take pics when its complete.

14. JDM FLOW

JDM FLOW Well-Known Member

Doing my this week-end :D Just waxed her and took a photo shoot tonight. Will up load photos either tomorrow or couple more days.

15. JDM FLOW

JDM FLOW Well-Known Member

Finished my front bumper and de- badged my Mitsubishi badge, will have photos tomorrow.

16. Keeeent

just finished my grille. front is gonna be next.

Premier:
    [​IMG]

Duplicolor flatblack
    [​IMG]

Finished:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

17. Texas Aggie

do you have to remove the front grill part or can you just tape everything off and spray?

18. lancered

lancered Well-Known Member

itd be alot cleaner to just take out the grill

19. Texas Aggie

oh ok...prolly won't do it till summer then...

20. thekidfromny17

thekidfromny17 New Member

did/do you have to sand it down before painting it? what kind of sand paper?