45$ SRI AHAHAHAHA jerry rig ftmfw

Discussion in '8G Lancer - Performance' started by darklancer, Jul 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. darklancer

darklancer Well-Known Member

wow ps it sounds way better in life, damn crappy cameras

2. darklancer

and ill see if i can get a dyno whats the average price for that...so i dont get screwed over

3. skullpr

skullpr Well-Known Member

OK, this is where parents would go..."kids, now you now what NOT to do"

hell no man...you gotta represent whenever you pop that hood...that "cut-off-the-flowmeter" aint that bad...but the "heat shield" has GOT TO GO...buy a REAL one

and about the +20HP...hhmmmmmmmm hell no....we all know that "mickey mouse SRI" would and will not give you that...a simple bolt on as to change your intake system will not give you that amount of gain...(im not the most knowledgeable guy on this, so be glad to correct me)

4. GTS_Rob

GTS_Rob Well-Known Member

you could combine all the mods that are currently out for our car, and you still wont get 20 hp.

5. Greedy_son

Greedy_son Member

WTF !! I would rather spend $370, what will happen when people wanna see your car and ask to see the engine. You pop the hood and then they see that?

6. TheDude

TheDude Well-Known Member

The things peopel do to save money. Yea sure guy, you saved money on a SRI... but you gonna use that and MORE when something F's up after sometime. ITs like i told you before....

BTW if i went to a meet and saw that, i would seriously laugh, cuz you obviously care nothing for your car.

7. darklancer

so what your saying is other than esthetically its perfectly fine.

8. TheDude

Naw man, that thing is bad in all aspects, especially in this so called "20whp" increase.

It might sound loud, sure, but you can do hundreds of things to your car to sound loud, doesnt mean you did something good to your car. My suggestion is, get a real intake, and dont try to do anything kustom like that. But w/e man, i aint mechanically experienced as most of the others here, but i can tell you this: Jerry rigging aint good for shit, and that goes for any other product.

My friend jerry rigged a cooling fan to his 360 during the time of the TROD... and guess what. It worked miserably, and when he attempted to send it in for repairs/replacement, they denied it to him cuz they found out he had been dicking aroudn with it. So like i said, i dont think what you did was a good idea.

9. kabal

kabal Member

I say it is your car so do what you like. However if you ever want to get something different and try to sell people are going to laugh and ask if you have the stock parts. One of the main advantages for buying the upgrades for me is I can always put the stock parts back on if need be and sell the mod and recoup some of my money. But like I said to each their own. As long as your having fun with it that is all that matters.

10. Evolve

Evolve Well-Known Member

what.....the...........fuck

11. bras_33

bras_33 Well-Known Member

Cutting the intake tube and placing it with an air filter is all good, since you used the oem mass sensor, of course there will be no cel. PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE get rid of the "heat shield"

12. darklancer

ok but dont i need a heatshield? and if so were can i get one thats made for this car i thought there wasnt one...i used the skid plate as a heat shield because it is the same thickness and matterial of the origional airfilter box....also a mechanics idea

this was all done at a shop by mechanics thats why i have no isue with it at all...its basicly what K & N is doing just not as pretty, same concept tho.

and if i wana sell it the intake tube not including the oem mass sensor is 30 bucks so its easy to revert to stock parts.

and i can definitly tell a difference in power in the low end, also in the fuel economy my litters per 100 sits at around 6 now weres previously it sat at about 8 or 9.

and the shop told me it had a 20 hp increase..due to the straight pipe and the intake. usualy when certified mechanics that have been working on cars for over 20 years tell me somthing about a car...i tend to believe them i dont know why i mean thats just irassional.

how do some of you think shops came up with the parts for our cars. mess around with stuff till somthing works and then mass produce it...they dont get this out of some sanctioned car tuning manual, its all trial and error...

13. bras_33

bras_33 Well-Known Member

Until you put it on a dyno, 20hp is very hard to believe from something simple as you have done. A lot of us on this site, just from experience with other manufacturers like K&N, AEM, Injen and other companies who have a SRI and CAI can tell you that is a very unreasonable number in a SRI. Even with ones that face the front of the car and have air coming in.

You really dont need a heatshield, it just makes it look prettier. Kinda like bedazzling your jeans.

14. Evolve

Evolve Well-Known Member

lmao at "and no backfires"

why would there be?

That's like saying i installed my super-cool spoiler and no Check Engine Light came on.

15. Greedy_son

Greedy_son Member

I would buy this. Do you accept Tinfoil and duct tape?

"its all trial and error" I guess you can count this an error. No way you will get 20hp. This mechanic should be fired, it may seem fine now but something will go wrong and you will be stuck with a problem.

16. Talon_66

Talon_66 Active Member

This thread FAILS for so many reasons.

1. There is NO WAY you gained 20hp from your Intake, even when coupled with an Exhaust. Despite what your mechanic with 20 yrs of experience may say. You can be stubborn and call everyone on the forum an idiot, for believing your mechanic is wrong. However you're the idiot for believing the crap this guy is putting into your head.

2. Your SRI w/ "custom" heat sheild is horrendous!
    Go buy a 2x2ft piece of aluminum and make a heat shield, or just buy a heat shield. If I were you I would be ashamed to open the hood and show off your wicked tight work yo.

Im sorry if any of this comes off as harsh!
    But you need a slap from reality. [/u]

17. TheDude

i still cant believe this conversation is continuing. Guys if he likes his intake, and thinks hes got 20 whp, then let him keep it. IF trained mechanics and engineers like RRM, Injen, Fujita, AEM, etc, cant come up with an intake with 20whp, OF COURSE those mechanics of his can make it. I mean, its not liek these companies spend their work time researching vehicles, their products, how they work on their cars and stuff RIGHT?

18. freakingwilly

freakingwilly Member

Sorry darklancer, but your first mistake was comparing this to Injen's cold air intake. You're taking the most expensive intake available for our Lancers and comparing it to something you pieced together yourself. You should really be comparing this to RRM's V1 SRI... and even then I'd still choose RRM's. Mainly because I won't have any warranty issues with it, I can just remove it and put the stock box back on.

Personally, I have the Injen CAI and it is by far my favorite mod to my car. Worth every cent... in less than a years worth of fill-ups, my CAI will have paid for itself. That is money well spent my friend.

Furthermore, your mechanic needs a lesson on restrictive piping. The rubber accordion tubing from the stock piping is ridiculously restrictive. The only thing it's good for is insulating heat.

+1 on the mod and having the guts to rip apart your stock parts, I'll give you that much.

19. Evolve

Evolve Well-Known Member

my only gripe with this whole thread is the original poster is not very humble.

If he had said "hey look, i know im poor and please don't be so hard on me but this is what i did...."

^that would be cool, and i'd of course offer props for at least posting the project.

But saying stupid shit like "MADDD GROWLLL" and "20 hp" makes me laugh at how he's trying to outshow the REAL vendors who put effort, research, and time into a Cold-Air and Short-Air applications.

I know you're tryin to be the "rational" one and telling people to chill but with a "im great and look at my sweet intake" attitude this guy has im kinda glad people are laughin at this thing.

Again, props for the effort, but this guy is not grounded to reality by any means

20. Dr1fter

Dr1fter Well-Known Member

lol...I'm sorry but wow....I remember first coming into this thread and thinking "this will not end well when he posts pics". 20 hp from intake and exhaust? I can only imagine the kind of horsepower you'd get from stickers lol, sorry to sound so harsh but you had this coming boasting about your jerry rigged setup. You just made my day. Thanks!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.