Wow...

Discussion in 'Way Out There...' started by WildBill, Dec 4, 2007.

1. WildBill

WildBill Well-Known Member

Driving home tonight in a rental car that I have had for a week because my car is getting a new transmission, I saw a new 2008 Nissan Altima Coupe and a 2008 Lancer gun it from a stop light and onto the freeway. I tried to keep up as best as I could considering my rental is a Ford Taraus (*sigh*), but the last I saw the new Altima Coupe was whipping the Lancers ass by a good 5 car lengths. It made me kind of sad...especially with that being only the 3rd or 4th Lancer that I have seen in the 7 million plus population inhabiting the Houston area.

Bill

2. RALLIART

RALLIART Well-Known Member

yeah no worries, our cars look way better, and i bet it could outperform the altima in autocross. New altimas are v6 ( correct me if i am wrong) that gives it roughly 200HP+ i think. BTW what happened to your tranny..?

3. Payload

Payload Well-Known Member

and considering nissan and renault are such good friends now their cars are looking pretty horrible.

The lancer probably didnt have enough ralliart stickers or was a CVT or something. Stickers = 10hp each and CVT = minus 1 million hp per gear. Mechanical Engineering 101.

4. WildBill

Yes and no. The new Altimas, both sedan and coupe, share the same powertrain setups. Either the 2.5L I4 engine (trim level designated 2.5s) or the 3.5L V6 (Designated 3.5se I believe). This one was a 2.5 s, and judging by how smooth the acceleration was, I think both vehicles had the CVT in them. Granted the 2.5L puts out a Manufacturer estimated 175 HP.

As for my tranny, I basically was loosing 2nd gear in my 2001 VW Jetta, so the extended warranty finally gave in and ordered me a new one after trying a crap load of other cheap fixes. Good news is though that for all the labor and parts going into the fix, I only owe $50 instead of the so far estimated value of about $5,000 they have invested in my car since Thanksgiving. Sad part is that my cars probably only worth about $7,000 KBB on a good day...

Bill

5. WildBill

RIIIIIIIIIGGGHHHHTTTTT.....

J/K, I wish.

Bill

6. SeRious08

SeRious08 Well-Known Member

Well if you look at the overall #s its not hard to realize why the Altima won.

These are crank rated #s and not wheel.

ALTIMA LANCER GTS
    Curb weight: 3189 3021
    HP: 175 152
    TQ: 180 146
    Motor: 2.5L 2.0L
    Rims: 16" 18"

TQ will win just about every time.