wierd sound developing after 2months of being lowered

Discussion in '8G Lancer - Suspension' started by 604Lancer, Oct 14, 2008.

1. 604Lancer

604Lancer Active Member

first off i know of all the knocking and sqeeking sounds that starts to develop to our suspension, but i have something new. imagine this.... sitting on a old swivel chair ie office chairs. you know that ball bearing grinding sound mixed in with a bit of ticking you hear if you lean too much to one side and swivel. well thats the sound i'm getting from my Lancer. it only happens when i turn at low speeds tho. anybody have the same problem or heard of this issue?

fyi,lowered on WORKS springs with no other mods to the suspension, running on stock rims and tires.

any help would be appreciated, thanks!

2. 604Lancer

604Lancer Active Member

anyone have any idea what this could be???

3. kennyjai

kennyjai Well-Known Member

your best bet would be to contact works... i had that sound with my old accord... and ur car is brand new...

4. 604Lancer

604Lancer Active Member

did you ever find out what the problem was though?

5. kennyjai

kennyjai Well-Known Member

i think one of my strut is busted... my dad told me its a small stick thats connecting the wheels to something but im no expert in this matter so i didnt really understand what he was saying lol plus the car is an old beater so we dont bother bringing it to the garage..

6. EngRWW33

EngRWW33 Well-Known Member

I would be REALLY surprised if the works springs caused a bad strut... They are a small drop compared to most other springs

7. 604Lancer

604Lancer Active Member

i doubt it is a strut problem too, it seems more to do with the mounts, does our strut assembly have anything with ball bearings or something of that nature? cuz it seems to sounds like its ungreased ball bearing rubbing together or something like that. i obviously can't bring it to the dealer and my mechanic(the one who installed my springs) is on vacation.

8. papi2dmamis

papi2dmamis Well-Known Member

I think that if the sound only happend when you turn it may be a busted CV joint. That same sound you describe I had it in my old Nissan NX2000 and it end up benn a busted CV joint.

9. 604Lancer

604Lancer Active Member

hmm..i'll def look into that, thanks for the help guys! i'll update what the problem is in about a week, when my mechanic is due back.

10. sunstealth

sunstealth Well-Known Member

it may be a top plate problem, i had one busted at around 1000 kms on a stock suspension setup, was sounding like an old door/rocking chair, the bearings where completely destroyed

11. 604Lancer

604Lancer Active Member

thats exactly what i was thinking. this happened with a stock setup?? hmmm maybe i could have the springs taken out and have it fixed under warranty too.

ne one know if cusco or suspension companies like them make pillow ball mounts for our cars???

12. RALLIART

RALLIART Well-Known Member

invest in some coilovers when i had my lowering springs on my suspension would squeek, and always when i was backing ou tof my driveway turning left. Its gone when i installed coilovers...

13. eTXlancer

eTXlancer Well-Known Member

mine is making a cracking/poping sound when turing left or right while pulling into driveways, parking, backing. and more so when is cold. so yall think c/v joint. and has anyone figured out about the pulling left prob, it takes 5.5 sec for the car to go from right line to center line. its not wheels or tires.

14. 604Lancer

604Lancer Active Member

^^investing in coilovers for sure, am trying to wait for the tein ones tho, but if i can't get this noise resolved then i guess i'll just pick up the megans.

btw, sorry for the ignorance, but whats the CV joint??

15. 96Blacksunshine

96Blacksunshine Well-Known Member

They are joints attached to the end of a driveshaft. They transer the power of the engine to the wheels. Basically they transfer power while being able to freely change angles without breaking.

16. 604Lancer

604Lancer Active Member

Thanks!

17. Karan

Karan Well-Known Member

Wow! I am having the exact same problem as well, and I had WORKS springs installed as well. Basically everytime I back out of my driveway, and make a small lowspeed turn onto the road, I get that ticking/clicking noise. I cant identify which corner its from but its there.

I had my dealership install the car though so I'm gonna have them check it out cause it is getting a bit worrysome.

18. 604Lancer

604Lancer Active Member

Hey Karan,I'm TheBaker over on PL, i was actually going to contact you to ask if you had this problem. Here you are posting in my thread LOL. Mine sounds like its coming from the front driver side strut.

Alittle update, my mechanic is back but hasn't had time to look at my car yet. But he says, of the 5 Lancers he has lowered 4 has this issue, he tried to explain to me over the phone, couldn't catch it all tho. It supposidly has to do with the upper mount, the bearings are getting too much pressure applied onto them. He'll check it out next week and see what he can do. Will keep you guys posted.

19. Karan

Karan Well-Known Member

Thanks man. Keep me posted okay! I noticed mine coming from the front left side as well 8O

20. sunstealth

sunstealth Well-Known Member

update theres a problem on our cars
    the rear wheel well housing are glued to the body at the actory plan, well they become unglued after a little while and it makes a somehow not really easy to identify sound when turning, braking or going over bumps or denivelations. Im still waiting on having a answer to get my car fixed been a month already and i have no answer after 5 calls. next time it's a lawyer thing!