why fwd?

Discussion in 'Way Out There...' started by vash_241987, Jul 16, 2007.

1. vash_241987

vash_241987 Well-Known Member

why are there so many manufactures using fwd in most of their car? my friend told me that the new impala was changed to fwd. is it cheaper? we all obviously want the cheaper sports cars to be rwd...but why fwd.

2. AeJarrotto

AeJarrotto Well-Known Member

I bet part of it is cost, but probably the exact reason of profit. Keep them in different classes because people are willing to pay more to get rear wheel, psychology and marketing, all about how much you can coax out of the consumer. thats my guess. lol

3. WildBill

WildBill Well-Known Member

A lot of cars are going to FWD for 2 main reasons.

1) RWD has several more parts and, in past history, cost more for the car company to develope and apply it to models. Also, the cost is further carried to a limited consumer market with possible extra costs for replacement parts and routine maintenance that isn't as dominant with the intergrated design of a FWD.

2) Futhermore, the FWD design both minimizes parts with a more intergrated engine compartment as well as provides the common consumer with more control when driving because the power is put to the front wheels which have the heavier weight of the engine to help provide pressure to the front wheels.

This at least what I have heard/can see. Maybe I am wrong, if so someone let us know.

Bill