The OTHER Car...

Discussion in 'Way Out There...' started by LuvMyLancer, Mar 17, 2008.

1. LuvMyLancer

LuvMyLancer Well-Known Member

This is our other show car. It's a 1979 Trans Am. I shall tell the story of how it came to be.

12 years ago, my dad was driving around some back roads when he spotted this car sitting in a field, so he decided to go to the house and see if it was for sale. A lady lived there and said he could have it for $1,200.

So, he bought it and brought it home. He started to tinker with it, added some CherryBomb mufflers and ordered the decals for it and was about to have it painted and fixed up when he was diagnosed with Cancer. The car sat for two years while he battled the disease, then he lost the battle and died in 1998.

So the car sat for a couple more years, then I decided in honor of him, that my mom and I should finish what he started. I started taking it to my mechanics class at school (free work! lol) and my mom got it painted and had the decals put on.

She ordered new carpet and interior parts (plastic seat backs, rear panels etc) and got those installed.

To this day it still needs works (the T-top's chrome is all scratched and should be replaced, and there's a small crack in the manifold that has to be fixed) but even with the work it still needs we just had it appraised in July and its now worth $18,500. Our first car show with it was 5 years after he died on Father's Day, and to this day we still take it to that show every year as a kick off to the car show season. I hope my dad would be proud of his car today, and I know I'll be proud to park my own car beside his at the car shows this year.

Here's some before and after pictures:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

----------------------------------------

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. bras_33

bras_33 Well-Known Member

My dad had one but it was in red. He was in the US Navy and was at sea a lot. My moms made me drive it around the block so it would not just sit there. I remember, I had to move the seat all the way forward and sit on a few pillows :D . Once it got going that TA can move!!!!

3. LuvMyLancer

My mom had to have the seat put up on blocks haha. She's 5'1 so she could barely see over the dash.

And I agree about them being able to go!!

We tried it one day on a 8 mile straight stretch of highway, the spedometer went all the way around and back to zero so we have no idea how fast we were going but it was CRAZY. (we have it on video tape some where lol)

They may be big and heavy clunkers but those cars sure can move when you want them to :p

4. bras_33

I know, I was able to scratch in 1st, 2nd and 3rd gear.

Same thing here with the speedo but w/the tach, I was at 5k and wanted to push it more but then I saw the gas guage so....

5. LuvMyLancer

Yep, these cars are kinda hard to push LOL.

1. They're major gas guzzlers

and 2. they're old and will probably break haha.

The same day of the speed test, I dunno what happened, I guess one of the T-Tops wasn't in properly? But once we got going fast it popped off and smashed all over the back spoiler then onto the road :(

Luckily we always have a spare roof lying around!

6. bras_33

hmmmmmmmmmmm t-tops

[​IMG]

7. LuvMyLancer

LOL, yeah...they dont make 'em like they used to!! ;)

8. lancermike

lancermike Well-Known Member

always gotta love american muscle and honestly ur father would be proud that thing is bad ass this is wat i wanna do get a beater and make it shine with my own to hands show some of the potential i have hahaha

9. LuvMyLancer

Muscle cars really are a lot of fun :) But you really gotta be into them if you're around my age.

I go to car shows but dont really have anyone to talk to because a lot of the car owners are 50+.

But its fun :)

I would LOVE a '70 Chevelle SS!

10. bras_33

my 2 favs

'49 Mercury:

[​IMG]

'72 Buick GSX:

[​IMG]

11. lancermike

who doesnt want a 70 chevelle ss i woul die for that car

12. LuvMyLancer

Love the Buick ;) The Mercs are cool but not really my style.

I'd also take '69 Charger R/T or Cuda or Challenger... :D

I also like the 60's Mustangs.

13. lancermike

14. LuvMyLancer

Ah yes... Eleanor!! :)

She's a perdy car.