No Muffler?

Discussion in '8G Lancer - Performance' started by eKtor, Jan 11, 2008.

1. eKtor

eKtor Well-Known Member

Well, i was looking at the works "axle-back exhaust"... i wrote axle-back exhaust in quotations cause i think that for that price is a rip of for what it actually does...

take a look:

http://www.worksevo.com/store/product_i ... cts_id=481

wtf do you see here? NO MUFFLER... so this is basically an extension to the actual exhaust tube from the axle to the back.... and they want $280 FOR THAT!?!?!?! WTFOMGLMFAOMAC&CHEESE!!!!

well i was doing my dumb math, and if its acutall just an extension with 2 hooks and a pretty tip, the performance difference (if any) and the sound should be fairly the same if not exactly the same as if i just took the muffler out...... so guess what? :D

click here

[​IMG]

I took the muffler off, and to be honest with you i love it!... it sounds beautiful and i feel that it pulls a bit harder in the mid range (40-80mph) anyways, i took more videos, they are uploading right now, ill post them later on or tomorow....

critisism is welcomed

suba, feel free to post your upset star wars face lmao...

2. eKtor

eKtor Well-Known Member

The video really doesnt do justice to the sound... if possible listen to it with headphones or speakers with a lot of bass... it is a really deep tone...

3. lancered

lancered Well-Known Member

ive had mine off for 3 weeks now,it sounds good,but alot of tone inside the car as well from where its unbolted.not from the rear,i cant wait to install my new muff.

4. pimpinfern

pimpinfern Well-Known Member

wait so what exactly did u do to the pipe after u took of the muffler, if possible take a picture

5. angryGTS

angryGTS Well-Known Member

not too bad at least it sounds better than I was expecting to hear, u plan on leaving it off or did you do it for the hell of it?

6. angryGTS

at least you are saving some weight also, lol

7. lancered

steal one of ur parents metal hangers and wrap it around the pipe and over the chassis to hold it up :p

8. Prophet

Prophet Well-Known Member

With the muffler off ain't you guys getting exhaust into the cabin? With that pipe you are forcing the exhaust fumes out the back but just taking off the muffler you are expelling it right underneath the car?

9. pimpinfern

all i have is tin foil and ductape :( lol

10. lancered

i think so cuz after awhile i smell a stank but not really when ur driving just when ur sitting still idling

11. lancered

goodluck with that

12. Prophet

Yeah I would watch out with that expecially if you got people in your car. Might end up killing someone by accident including yourself...

13. pimpinfern

oh ok so he just chopped off the muffler and added the tip to where the muffler connected, i thought he mighta bought some extra pipe to make it reach to where it was originally

14. Prophet

Naw if I am reading it right these guys are just taking out there muffler...

15. blacksheep818

blacksheep818 Well-Known Member

i believe ektor is talking about the works exhaust which is this
    http://www.worksevo.com/store/product_i ... cts_id=481
    and he is proving a point that its not worth 280 to buy a piece of pipe

16. angryGTS

oh ya, i didnt think of that.

:(

17. eKtor

eKtor Well-Known Member

Well yea, but i passed by an exhaust shop and they say that a cheap custom pipe to route it to the back would be like 45 bucks... much better than 290 + shipping lol...

the hanging of the pipe is horrible... i took some speaker cable (not car speaker cable, but professional 4000 watts concert speaker cable lol) and held it from the chassis... its not running all over for now......

about the gasses, i always have my windows down so i cant tell...

about the weight, that thing weighs 27 pounds.. it feels like 300 pounds tho lol!

18. pimpinfern

see there we go, he just got some short custom piping

19. eKtor

eKtor Well-Known Member

exactly... you can get that for 50-75 bux in a muffler shop... you wont get the pretty finish, the tip, or the word "works" on it, but who cares? :D

when i get it done im painting it matte black...

20. Prophet

What I would do is have a shop manderal bend pipe and take out that muffler too and get a nice tip welded on. Would be tons cheaper then what works is charging. I was just afraid that these guys where running there car without a muffler and no piping to expel out the rear. In the vid and in the wording I didn't see anything to tell me that anyone did...