need help

Discussion in 'Audio, Security and Electronics' started by illdietrying, Aug 11, 2008.

1. illdietrying

illdietrying Well-Known Member

i'm planning on putting lights on the inside the door panel where the speakers are and hook it up to my HU so that it'll only turn on when the HU is on, any clue on how i could do this?

2. Mitsu008

Mitsu008 Well-Known Member

splice and rewire all i can say but please know what ur doin if not take it to the pro's

3. RedStar

RedStar Well-Known Member

Yeah just slice into the wires. I am also trying to think of a design to add. My buddy has an 04 accord and he has a very bright blue that glows when the doors are opened an it look so slick!

4. RedGalant2k1

RedGalant2k1 Well-Known Member

You can hook up the turn on lead of the lights to the remote wire of the radio. That would allow you to have them turn on at the same time. Personally though, I'd hook the lights up off the 12volt adapter or "cigarette lighter" outlet simply so you don't risk the radio and proper voltage at the turn on or remote lead. Its easy enough to hook up a separate switch to power the accessories you want to.

5. nspunkrock

nspunkrock Member

RedGalant2k1 is on the right track. However, I would hook the remote wire up to a relay to toggle the lights on and off with the head unit. That way, you won't be drawing excess current from your HU to power the lights.

http://www.ado13.com/techs/relay.htm

Check out this illustration. In your case, your remote wire from the HU would replace the ignition switch and would accomplish the same thing. I would run some wire to the battery directly for power with a sufficient fuse.

Good luck. I'd love to see some pics when it's done.

6. illdietrying

thanks a lot guys, i'll be working on this soon and post up pics later i'm still in the process of ordering my rammat BXT for soundproofing and this would be next in line

7. SeRious08

SeRious08 Well-Known Member

run an accessory relay off the remote turn on wire. I have been doing this for years to run several neons, linear actuators, and cooling fans.

I suggest using a Potter Brumfield Relay. Its a heavy duty 30/40 amp single pole double throw relay. Perfect for all installs. They cost about $2.

If you need help, let me know.

8. illdietrying

hehehe, guys now i'm confused, first off where could i buy that certain relay (if i'll buy a different relay what specs should i be looking for?)? how would i wire them ( 8 wires total for all the lights)? and what do you guys think would be the best kind of light for it?

fill in the blanks
    [​IMG]

9. SeRious08

You should be able to pick them up at any PepBoys or Auto Zone. The most popular relays are probably the Bosch relays.

It has 5 prongs. Labeled 87, 86, 87a, 85, and 30

To wire it:

86 = remote turn on from radio
    30 = positive from battery
    85 = ground
    87 = to all accessories (you can split it and run 5-6 different things safely)

You could easily run your amp, and 4-5 different accessories.

10. illdietrying

[​IMG]

so what you're saying is it should be this way? sorry guys but i'm noob with this stuff, so what size of fuse should i be using? can i ground all the leads on one spot or should i ground the leads of the lights seperate to the ground lead of the relay? should i ground it to the chasis or should i run a wire directly to the battery? thanks in advance guys...

11. SeRious08

I can't view the pic on my work computer so I can't tell you if its right or not.

You need a 30-40 amp relay

You can ground them all to one spot using a ground distribution block if you want, but typically I seperate my grounding points. I'll have one point with a dist. block for all audio equip. Then another point with a dist. block for all other electronics (leds, fans, actuators, ect). Since the relay is for the accessory mainly, it can be grounded with them.

You can ground it to the chassis, just make sure you scrap/sand all the paint off that area.