Need help with Sony camcorder

Discussion in 'Way Out There...' started by Wasper, Jan 2, 2008.

1. Wasper

Wasper Well-Known Member

Hi guys,

I got a camcorder here... its a sony handycam dcr-sr42 hard drive digital camcorder. I nver used a digital camcorder before, so If Im noobish, please forgive me.

Im testing it out and I can take footage and get it on to my computer with no problems. I can play the video using the sony software that came with the camcoder just fine.

But, when I try to play it using windows media player, it wont play. The file is in mpeg2 format.

Does anyone know how I can get it to play in windows? maybe a free converter I can use or something? Anyone know a fix?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

2. tatsujo

tatsujo Well-Known Member

Yes, you are missing a video/audio codec. The proper ones should've been istalled when you setup the software from the Sony CD. If not, it may of just been listed in the player that was provided (such as in it's folder).

It depends on how it was recorded. If it's just a regular video, you can download something like the K-Lite codec pack which will cover you for basically every single codec that's currently out there. (if you need it, just google it and get the full version).

If it's recorded as an HD format, it might need a particular mpeg2 codec.

3. Wasper

Wasper Well-Known Member

AHHH, that K-Lite codec pack worked man !!!!

One thing though... now I can see the vids on my computer, but if I share them, will others see it aswell, or will they have the same problem I had?

Lets test it... just a test of stock muffler, lol

*** didnt work ***

bah... cant get it to work at all :(

4. eKtor

eKtor Well-Known Member

i have that exact camera... do to the way i got it, i dont have any accesories for it.. i looked for months for the damn dock but couldnt find it so i gave up... its just sitting there in a drawer :(

5. Wasper

Wasper Well-Known Member

6. tatsujo

tatsujo Well-Known Member

Glad it worked out. The reason other's can't see it is because they don't have the mpeg2 codec either. So they would have to install the codec too possibly. :D