Lancer turbo?

Discussion in '8G Lancer - Performance' started by Homie, Jan 1, 2011.

1. Homie

Homie Well-Known Member

Does anybody else have a turbo out besides RRM for the CVT? 4500 is way to much for a turbo kit in my opinion! They have universal turbo kits on ebay for 800 bucks. Would these work? I know they would have to be installed well and tuned but that would be better then 4,500 plus the 1,000 to have it installed.

It's been almost 2 years since I've been on these fourms and just doing basic searches seems like they don't really have shit for the 2.0 or 2.4 cvt or manual for that matter. Is it really all about the Evo and ralliart?

2. Jogenmaru

Jogenmaru Well-Known Member

Even if it was all about the evo and ralliart. The ralliart is also cvt. Rrm is the only reputable one that I have seen and I have done a search for you cvt guys. If you do get the kit the install can be done by you alone. So there is 1 grand saved right there. You can piece one together but you would have to get there turbo piggy which I think they have up there for 1.6 grand. But that would bring you to the same price as piecing one together. Give it some time and someone will crack the ecu for cvt lancers. I do know the bosst has to be set to 4-5 psi unlike the standard 7-8 psi because the cvt tranny can't take the pressure.

sent from my droid2 using tapatalk bitches

3. tcheek

tcheek New Member

Dont do the RRM CVT turbo! It has been tested and proved to do serious damage to the CVT tranny and engine. The manuals can handle turbo but only at a low amount of boost but the CVT cannot handle any for a semi-long period of time. I was browsing around some forums and saw this post and had to register to warn you. I am a member on 9gLancers and there have been many threads about how awful this turbo is (and RRM in general). So my advice is to stay clear of this turbo and most of the performance parts by RRM, especially the lightweight flywheel and CVT turbo. And for the ECU, go to RPW and look for their ECU flash. its relatively cheap and can give you some increase in power. many members on 9g have it and are extremely pleased with it

4. jRox

jRox Well-Known Member

The fact of the matter is the Base Lancer is not a performance vehicle. It's an economy sedan and it seen as so by aftermarket companies. You really can't expect a whole lot of aftermarket attention, but you should be grateful that some companies like RRM do provide parts specifically for the Lancer.

BTW, the 09+ Lancer Ralliarts have the SST tranny [Same as the Evo X MR's]--NOT CVT.

5. tcheek

tcheek New Member

sorry i was wrong about engine damage. I think its only transmission damage on the CVT. BUT probably not too great for the engine too

6. bras_33

bras_33 Well-Known Member

A guy in So Cal is doing the about the same numbers as the RA minus the AWD...+1 with jRox, a lot of people dont understand that the Lancer is a good looking grocery getter and that is it...want speed, awd and turbo, get the X or RA. Butt good luck with boosting your lancer, just have lots of patience with it and a good amount of cash flow...

7. Grizzle08

Grizzle08 New Member

just so you know the ralliart is not a cvt it has the same tranny as the evo.

8. Jogenmaru

yea jrox commented on that earlier

9. Belgaram

Belgaram Well-Known Member

Actually, RRM took the 2.4 Mivec CVT turbo kit off the market I think. I went there looking and they only list the manual tranny. I emailed them to see why they don't have the CVT kit for the 2.4. I'll post their response when I get it. I'm really curious now!

10. Jogenmaru

Thats because it for the money it isnt worth the issues they were having with the tranny.

11. Belgaram

Belgaram Well-Known Member

Rob from RRM responded and said:

"2.4 seems to make too much torque. I suggest N/A mods for the 2.4 CVT. There are lots of N/A mods. All together feels like 3 psi of boost. I suggest you go that route. IT will be worth it and leave money left for other things like CF bits and suspension too."

Interesting...But my tuner guy is doing research and says thats because they have too much boost and launching it. I'm thinking it's because the CVT wont drop boost. When I had my car dyno'd the dyno went crazy because there was no shift point. I'm guessing that would cause the car to stay in boost and trash the tranny. I would guess that if you shifted with the paddles when you ran it harder, that you would drop boost and be easier on the trans. But I'm not a mechanic so this is just guessing.

That said, I am researching everything and am actually looking at going turbo if things can be done without trashing my trans.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2011
  12. Jogenmaru

Try the vta(vent to atmosphere) route. RRM's I believe is recirculatory. If your theory of holding boost is correct then its more like an automatic than a manual. There is a way around it but it may cost more than its worth.

13. Evolve

Evolve Well-Known Member

awwww ur so sweet. you're such an All-Star

14. slickdevil08

slickdevil08 Well-Known Member

Guys just trade in on an evo or ralli art lol

Holy Beach Balls Aquaman It's Tapatalk