Gas tax holiday...Correction

Discussion in 'Way Out There...' started by Texas Aggie, Apr 30, 2008.

1. Texas Aggie

Texas Aggie Well-Known Member

ok so I'm watching CNN and I heard about this gas tax holiday. A day where you can get gas for $0.18 less than what it is now. Sound like a good idea?

$0.18 x 13 gallons of gas = $2.34

WOW!!! So if I sit in line like everyone else will on that day I'll save less than a tank of gas. You'll probably waste more gas waiting in line, with the AC on for you Cali, Tx, Az...and every other hot state, than you would by not getting gas for that day. AND the time you'll waste waiting.

Ok, lets say you have an SUV...

$0.18 x 25 gal/gas = $4.50

What a bunch of crap these politicians are. I hope you guys on here, especially you young people, are paying attention to what's going on. These people will also affect your tuition and college loans.

2. Arcanas

Arcanas Well-Known Member

...I'm going to assume you mean SoCal, cause up here, it's flipping cold man. Well not sure about the East Bay, but in the Bay Area, it's damn cold sometimes. I mean, we had some nice hot weather the last couple of days, but today it was windy, and cold...and I still went out to get ice cream

3. thetaxguy

thetaxguy Well-Known Member

The point is that it will not be worth it.

The funny thing is that the administration involved with the program will probably cost more then the savings that are generated. Not to mention that excess consuption of gasoline on that one day will effectively raise crude futures as the big investment houses plant seeds of "shortages." What a joke!

4. eKtor

eKtor Well-Known Member

hehe... in FL we are hitting the 90s already ;)

5. Texas Aggie

I just heard that it's not just for one day, its for 3 months. Since I fill up once a week, I'll save about $9.36 a month and about $28 for the tax holiday. Personally, they can go blow themselves for less than $30. Its a short-term fix and ridiculous. People will actually go for this because most people don't know any better.

Be an informed member of society people...

6. RedGalant2k1

RedGalant2k1 Well-Known Member

Exactly why I was never that worried about the gas prices, granted its high, but should they not be allowed to profit off a product they provide?

7. faracinman2

faracinman2 Well-Known Member

Just because they take the taxes off, what is going to stop them from still raising the prices?? They are just going to raise the price to compensate for the no tax.

8. RedGalant2k1

Gas tax on average per gallon is about $50 cents.

But is it wrong for companies to make a profit?

Besides the real outcry should be against pharmaceutical companies. The profit margin is triple what gas companies are making.

9. Lancerlot

Lancerlot Well-Known Member

How much are you paying for a gallon anyway?

10. RedGalant2k1

I just paid $3.98 for 93 octane premium.

11. Lancerlot

Lancerlot Well-Known Member

$1.259 / Litre = Approx $4.76 / gallon.

12. bras_33

bras_33 Well-Known Member

$4.00/gal in Los Angeles

13. Texas Aggie

that makes me feel better being here....$3.45

14. faracinman2

faracinman2 Well-Known Member

$3.38 in Chattanooga TN

15. Bryn1987

Bryn1987 Well-Known Member

BUT... 2 of the top 3 most profitable companies in the US are gas companies... Exxon and Mobile...