Black out, paint ect. help

Discussion in '7G Lancer and older- General Information' started by xxmisfits1, May 27, 2010.

1. xxmisfits1

xxmisfits1 Member

So i just got a 03 oz rally. and like I saw on other cars they had like painted black door handles? If i painted mine would it be sweet or just look like complete shit? and whats the cheapest do it yourself ways for blacking out tail lights??

2. lancer2quick

lancer2quick Well-Known Member

As for the door handles...I think it depends on the color of the car. I personally like the color-matched handles, but to each his own. If you did paint them I think the best bet would be to tape off the body of the car, scuff them up a little and hit them with some ratlle can for plastics (Krylon Fusion). The only problem I see with painting them is the paint wearing off. The factory paint on mine started to get a little dull after the first year or so.
    Tinting the tails...I have seen a lot of people use the Nightshades paint. I have never done it, so I couldn't tell you about the process on those...

3. 1slowlance

1slowlance Well-Known Member

If you use VHT Nightshades, all you do is scuff up the tail lights quite a bit. You don't want to be able to see through it to well. Then spray even layers of VHT over whatever you want to black out. Spray one layer, let it dry about 30 minutes then spray another wait 30 minutes, etc. etc. It gets pretty dark pretty fast. A friend of mine and I sprayed his stock tail lights to mess around with VHT and get the hang of using it, and 2 layers made them pretty dark.

4. KillzBugzFast

KillzBugzFast Well-Known Member

doesn't VHT have a purple tint to it tho??

5. shieldwolf342

shieldwolf342 Well-Known Member

mine doesnt but just a word of warning 3 coats is really dark and dont go with more than 3 ever then its way to dark and the lights wont show at all properly.

6. 1slowlance

No, VHT doesn't have any purple in it. And, +1 to what shield said. Any more than 3 or 4 coats, and your tail lights are just going to be black. Lol.

7. Jogenmaru

Jogenmaru Well-Known Member

What color is your car? Standard yellow?

8. x32weezyx

x32weezyx Well-Known Member

i used vht and i didnt scuff up the tails at all n it worked perfect..for the door handles u cood try plasti dip mayb if ur into flat black

9. 1slowlance

The scuffing is needed. Without scuffing it up, the paint doesn't properly stick to the surface, and will run a lot more.

10. x32weezyx

x32weezyx Well-Known Member

umm..no...lol...like i said i used vht niteshade and didnt scuff up at all on 3 diff cars n put 3 coats on n it looks perfect....lol..i took the tails out laid them on carboard and jus sprayed them let it dry for mayb 30min and sprayed again till i got the darkness i wanted

11. xxmisfits1

xxmisfits1 Member

Okay thanks ill plan on doing it sometime this week( tail lights).. ill be getting a picture as soon as it starts to look better hahaha

12. xxmisfits1

xxmisfits1 Member

This was the final product. looks good, and its 100% visible

[​IMG]

13. davidlanceres

davidlanceres Well-Known Member

Tailights look good but don't paint the door handles...just makes the car look cheaper.