Works flash vs rrm piggy

Discussion in '8G Lancer - Performance' started by Mitsubishilancergts, Feb 3, 2009.

1. What are the power gains to the wheels i would be seeing? Rrm said 9hp on the 2.4 gts, is this true can i believe it, will i feel any diffs in performance?

2. Evolve

Evolve Well-Known Member

regardless if you decide to go with RRM or Works there is potential to clean up the top-end of our Engine. Both companies accomplish this. Exact hp gains, well that's up for discussion. No dyno comparisons. Just individual dyno's. which don't help because all dyno's have different elements to your total hp/tq numbers

3. ForTheGlory37

ForTheGlory37 Well-Known Member

WORKs is going to help you more because it is programmed for all your specific aftermarket parts. RRM is just one made for every lancer not designed for whatever intake or exhaust or whatever else you have...

4. Evolve

Evolve Well-Known Member

The piggy is tuneable. I've tuned mine and im running 91 octane. Woke up the top-end even more.

5. SeRious08

SeRious08 Well-Known Member

That is false. The piggyback was tuned with a SRI, header, and exhaust.

One MAJOR aspect that you must remember: RRM piggy will NOT void your warranty. Works reflashed ECU will void it. If you ever take your car in for service they 99% of the time hook up the ECU reader. If it shows that the parameters are not where they are suppose to be, they will reflash it back to stock. There goes your $400 that you paid Works. The RRM piggy for the most part is plug and play.

6. lancer0220

lancer0220 Well-Known Member

The above post is true. I also believe that works will reflash your car , you just have to pay shipping and be with out your car.

theres pros and cons both ways.

obviously plug and play is ideal.

be nice if htere was a way we could flash our cars with laptops in the comfort of our garage, then reflash back to stock whenever we want.

7. olvhec

olvhec Well-Known Member

Wow I was typing a response and when I went to post it Serious had beat me to it lol. I prefer the piggy becuase its tuneable. I didnt know Works would reflash your ECU if it was put back to stock, doesnt make since becuase if that were the case you could just send a friends ECU over claiming that was your dealer reflashed ECU. Get two flashed cars for the price of one. Unless Works can tell there previously flashed Ecus from always stock.

8. mpirklbauer

mpirklbauer Well-Known Member

Every ECU has a serial number and so Works will know which ECU you send them.
    One disadvantage for the piggy back is, you have to split the wires of the plug and it´s a part the police can see.

A ECU- Flash is not noticeable, just if you look in it with the scanner.
    Why should they reflash it at the service point?
    If Works make their work good, it wont be noticeable at first sight.
    The only thing what they are looking at the service is, if you pulled your rpm´s over the red line to often.
    That is all.

9. Evolve

Evolve Well-Known Member

I've popped my hood for one police officer. had the piggy and the intake AND my headers in. He thought my car was stock. I even went to a drag race and the tech inspector looked at my modified engine and asked me "running stock huh?" i was like "errr yea, of course."

you'd have to know what the thing IS to know what it does. Im not worried and never will be.

10. mpirklbauer

Sorry, but in Austria the policeman are suckers!

If something has an other paint than the rest, they worry about it and the check your car on the dyno.

11. Evolve

Evolve Well-Known Member

yea im not saying you're a liar. that sucks man. really sucks

12. SeRious08

Mine still looks stock without any noticable wires. No clue what you are referring to. Maybe if someone did a hack job and didn't take the time to install it correctly, then yes. But not on my car.

A lot of times they will run scans to make sure your timing and air/fuel is correct and within standards. Guess which 2 things the Works flash adjust????? If during the maint. scan they see these off, they will reflash the ECU to stock.

13. SeRious08

Honestly, I think you could see better gains from the RRM piggy and thier new timing control box. Rumor has it that Rock will be releasing them as a package deal soon.

14. olvhec

olvhec Well-Known Member

Dangit Serious08 you did it again, beat me to the typing lol, Im still posting the same thing!

wth, you cant mod your car at all there? That sucks. Well at least you can get a free dyno, lol jk. If you take your car for in for an issue especially electronic related they may check/reset your ECU, not just for a normal service. In the end its all up to user preference, but I still rather have the option of tuning.

Hey Evolve Im pretty sure the tech inspector knows the performance mods, if its just small bolt-ons some places still put you with stock becuase they figure those bolt ons dont give na cars much gain. Either that or he shouldnt be working that position lol.

15. mpirklbauer

Yes, it´s true!

In Austria you have to register everything that isn´t stock on your car except you have a certificate form the factor of the part.
    Which must be directly for your car.

And at the moment there are no parts available in Austria for the Lancer.

That´s what sucks more than the police!!

16. Evolve

Evolve Well-Known Member

i mean the box literally says Split Second on the box. It's just so black and OEM looking that i think the tech missed it. cuz he asked me what plans i had for the car. i was like "ughhhh exhaust, headers...?" He only knew the intake was aftermarket. All im saying is that this box blends in nicely.

17. SeRious08

Most don't see mine until I point it out.

18. chileanpride06

chileanpride06 Well-Known Member

where does the box fit at? anyone have a picture?

19. SeRious08

You can pretty much place it anywhere but its recommended to put it as close to the ECU as possible. Mine sits just behind the drivers side headlight. Here is a pic before I cleaned up the wiring. Also this and the RRM header is for sale for the low price of $400 as a packaged deal. Contact me if interested.

[​IMG]

20. skullpr

skullpr Well-Known Member

^^pm sent :D