Where does you Lancer idle on cold start.

Discussion in '8G Lancer - General Information' started by EBlancerGTS, Jul 20, 2008.

1. EBlancerGTS

EBlancerGTS Well-Known Member

I'm just wondering if this is ok or not, my lancer on a cold start idles at 1500 rpm's then after about 10-15 seconds slowly starts to idle down to about 800-900 rpm's. 1500 rpms everyday no matter what temperature hot/cold, it just seems high to me especially on a hot day like we've had here in NY for the last week, 85-95 degrees and humid as hell.

2. HudsonFalcon

HudsonFalcon Well-Known Member

It's normal. My Lancer does the exact same thing, and the temps. in NY have been brutal this past week for sure.

3. LuvMyLancer

LuvMyLancer Well-Known Member

Yup, mine does the same thing.

4. kennyjai

kennyjai Well-Known Member

same thing... i usually give it a lil gas to around 2.5-3k then it drops faster to 800-900 rather than wait 15sec or more

5. EBlancerGTS

EBlancerGTS Well-Known Member

Ok cool, just making sure, thanks everybody.

6. WildBill

WildBill Well-Known Member

This is normal and the reason for that is the engine is designed to temporarily idle higher than normal to help burn off any residual from previous motor operation. It's essentially just a way to help fight sludge buildup and to help to more quickly circulate and lubricate the pistons with oil to fight wear and tear that are most prevalent on cold starts. A lot of cars are designed and built this way. My 2001 VW Jetta does the same thing.

Bill

7. ULIKEIT

ULIKEIT Member

COol that is good to know I was always wondering about that...mine idles around the same and then drops down...I was thinking f ing dealer sold me a f ed up version.....lol