Whats your opinion on this?

Discussion in '8G Lancer - Performance' started by Wasper, Dec 19, 2007.

1. Wasper

Wasper Well-Known Member

Was thinking about just going down to a shop after the holidays and having them do a custom exhuast... catback or axelback depending on the money situation.

I cant decide on what to get though... Im not a big fan of the big round canister type mufflers, Im thinking some oval one I can put on and just get a nice tip thats not to big.

I found this vid an thought it sounded pretty good, but wanted to get your opinion becuase its a little unothidox cuase I dont see to many people putting these on imports...

Its a FlowMaster 50 series on a 1.5L Yaris... Listen and give an honest opinion, I was thinking it might sound pretty cool on the Lancer...

http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=u1lUab_umiw

2. Guest

Guest Guest

you have to b careful, cuz with out doing any testing, how will know that your not actually losing power.

just think about it.

3. Wasper

Wasper Well-Known Member

Thats true. It sounds good, but your right, its not just sound I have to take into consideration. Thats the type of sound Im looking for though, not to raspy.. nice and deep with some grunt to it.

Basically, changing out from the stock muffler and using the same stock pipe diameter (cuase I know Ill never turbo the car in the future, so biiger prob wont be needed). Do you think theres a big possiblilty of loseing power? I figured that Id atleast be freeing up some restiction.

Just thinking about doing something a bit different is all... you know, something that is away from the norm.

I mean.. Im really new to this... cars were never my forte.. Im a computer geek at heart... so this is new territory to me. So any knowlage that you guys can give me, Ill most definitly listen !

Well, if all else fails, Im still considering RRM... and the WORKS one doesnt look that bad either, pending some sound/vid clips.

4. Payload

Payload Well-Known Member

the one i have on my current lancer ( gettting my 08 on friday yay! ) is 2 and 1/4 inch cat back with a resonator in the middle and an oval shaped muffler on the end with an oval shaped tip which looks about 2 and 1/2 inch where its welded to the muffler and opens out to a larger oval shape which was done because it fills the cuttout nicely in the bumper.

Anyway its pretty quiet i think. The moral to the story though is that you can have larger piping to improve performance but with a good resonator to help keep that wet fart sound away and the choice of the right muffler you can still keep it quiet enough and get the sound your after. Most of it will be in the muffler you choose as to how it sounds.

Generally speaking the oval ones will be more quiet and having a twin tip will keep it a little more quiet too. If you speak to the guys at the place where you have it done im sure you can work out with them exactly what you want.