What should I do after lowering my car??

Discussion in '8G Lancer - Suspension' started by kaliuv, Mar 3, 2009.

1. kaliuv

kaliuv Well-Known Member

OK, I'm car left handed.
    Anyway, I really wanna have my car lowered, and I'm thinking of eibach pro-kit. It's gonna lower 1.2 F, 0.8 R. I'm sure you guys already know those numbers.
    I'm just gonna have mechanic install springs. I know that my car has to get alignment after that.
    And I heard something about camber kit(?) or something. I don't know....
    Is mechanic gonna do everything he is supposed to do without me telling him what to do? or should I tell him what you guys would tell me to tell him?
    Thank you for answers!

2. dao.style

dao.style Well-Known Member

mmm you can get camber kit from road race motorsports check out our support vendors section. mmm i would think the mechanic would know what to do.

3. SeRious08

SeRious08 Well-Known Member

4. leeminho86

leeminho86 Well-Known Member

Pro-kit's specifically set up to be "like" stock, it's not an aggressive drop so no steps are needed after installing the springs.

5. EngRWW33

EngRWW33 Well-Known Member

Only thing "needed" is the alignment. Anytime you have to mess with a piece of your car's suspension except for bars, alignment should always follow. Camber bolts are not needed, but are definately recommended.

6. spunx021

spunx021 Well-Known Member

Just to give you a heads up my, I don't know if anybody else has this problem but I have Eibach Prokit on my 08 GTS and in cold weather it starts popping on sharp turns..

7. skullpr

skullpr Well-Known Member

i also have the prokit, no popping here...though i do live in a warm island...if you see my drop and those of others you may notice mine is a bit lower, thats because i cut off half a coil on all four springs... :twisted: yeah i know this might sound rice to some people but i wasnt about to change them for lower springs, so whatever... :D

8. kaliuv

kaliuv Well-Known Member

My 09 gts does wheel-hop if I accelerate hard on 1st gear. It's same when I accelerate hard on 1st gear on sharp curve. My suspension is just stock, but I think same thing would happen to the cars that have lowering springs unless stiff coilovers are installed. I don't know if your car pops on anyturns even though you just drive slowly. But if you accelerate hard on sharp turns, then popping is just normal thing, I guess.

9. kaliuv

kaliuv Well-Known Member

Anyway, it seems like only alignment is needed according to you guys...

10. skullpr

what your referring as popping i think you mean hopping...yes, they do hop whenever your at hi revs in first gear but the suspension is not the only thing involved here...the main reason you get tire hop is because the engine hops...in order to reduce this you need a torque damper...or in our case (and i was just looking for this right now) RRMs motor mounts... http://www.roadracemotorsports.com/...ge=product_info&cPath=1_23_24&products_id=298

11. 08LancerAnt

08LancerAnt Well-Known Member

I am having the same problem kaliuv! They are installed correctly soo I dont know what it could be. To clear it up for the rest of you guys......it sounds like the springs shift when turning or taking off in first gear. I have only had my springs on for a week now soo it could be normal break in thing for them or it could be the cold weather we are having here in Jersey. The alignment is prefect I had it checked. I am just gonna wait and see if it goes away.

12. kaliuv

kaliuv Well-Known Member

I also get wheel hop only when the weather is cold. I don't know how low temperature effects to suspension, or something else. I heard many mustang(before 04) drivers experience same thing. Some of them got rid of the problem by installing coilovers, or new tire like nitto...

13. skullpr

well for those that dont know, every spring has a base on top which has a bearing and that does move with the spring whenever you turn...thats most likely what you hear...its like a pop but its normal so dont get scared...

14. SeRious08

Again, an alignment isn't neccessary unless you drop more than an 1.5". You don't have to trust me but you can trust RRM. They have stated it before. But, go ahead and waste $60.

15. I Am God

I Am God Active Member

so the tein s-tech..2.1 front / 1.9 back...camber kit definately recommended yes? how much would i even be payin a shop to install the springs+camber kit..at like 60-80$ an hour...am i jus better off gettin coilovers?

16. SeRious08

Yes, it would be recommended at that point. A typical shop will charge by the job, not by hour. Pep Boys charges I believe $99 for spring replacement.

Also note, that dropping that low can cause your struts to prematurely go bad. Meaning instead of them lasting 60,000 miles they may only last 45,000.

17. spiderman671

spiderman671 Guest

if it were me, after lowering i would go on suspension parts :)

18. aTm beaner

aTm beaner Well-Known Member

you NEED to get an alignment. just go to Firestone and buy their lifetime alignment. you could go as many times as you want.

19. medic

medic Well-Known Member

alignment is 100% needed reguardless of how much or little the drop is. the camber kit would be optional with less than 1.5" of drop that's true, but having worked in a suspension shop for 6 years any time you change a suspension component especially in the front end an alignment is necessary. unless of course you own stock in goodyear or toyo or some s@*! like that. an alignment that is even slightly off can cost you as mush as half your tire life, ie your 50000 mile tires just crapped out on you after 25-30000 miles.

20. kaliuv

kaliuv Well-Known Member

I'm confused. Some say alignment is not required, some say it's needed... It's not that expensive anyway, I'll just do it not to lose my tires for the sake of saving few bucks.