What do you think about that intake mod?

Discussion in '8G Lancer - Performance' started by mpirklbauer, Jan 20, 2009.

1. mpirklbauer

mpirklbauer Well-Known Member

Hi

I´m currently planning to mod my intake a little bit.

I want to cut out the small slot to one big and install a plate, so if I drive the air will be pushed into
    the scoop.
    And maybe, if someone of our Ralliart users would be so kind, to measure the size of there scoop
    at the air-box. so that we know if it will fit at the normal lancer.
    Her is the prototype design

[​IMG]

What do you think, make that sens or is it just wasted time?

2. The Beav

The Beav Well-Known Member

to each their own! i'd like to see pictures of this mod if possible... it sounds like a good idea to me... thanx

3. mpirklbauer

Any infos about the RA air scoop??

4. skullpr

skullpr Well-Known Member

what your wanting to do is a ram air....personally i havent seen an RA in my face, so i dont really understand what is it you want...why not just get a CAI if you want better intake??if its budget, hey save up and get the real deal...i hardly doubt a ram air will give you any gain at all, much less if youre planning to leave the stock paper filter, which BTW blows...but like The Beav said to each their own good luck!! :D

5. mpirklbauer

Because if I install a CAI I will get trouble with the police.
    CAI are illegal in Austria.
    But if it looks like stock, but sounds different, they can´t do anything!
    I have a K&N change filter and not the stock, so it will bring a little bit I think.
    I do this, because I have time and wanted to know if will work.
    I can buy a CAI at any time I want, If it doesn´t work.
    So I´ll just do it.

About the RA scoop.

If you have a look at this pics

Lancer: http://www.netcarshow.com/mitsubishi/20 ... per_28.htm
    RA: http://www.netcarshow.com/mitsubishi/20 ... per_11.htm

I don´t know, but it looks as the size at the airbox is the same.
    So if i cut out the slots to a big hole, it will make sens for me to put on the other scoop to get more air in

6. skullpr

skullpr Well-Known Member

ok now i understand...well it looks as if the box it self were the same size...if you can get a hold of that piece i guess it would probably fit...if it dosent you can always experiment and get some fiber glass resin and do it yourself...it shouldnt be that hard, and then you could add a touch of your style, lol...

7. Prophet

Prophet Well-Known Member

You know someone did a set up like what you want and even did a little write up about it. Was a very intresting read but I can't recall how did it and what the title of the thread was called. I would do a search around here and see if you can find it...

8. Prophet

Prophet Well-Known Member

9. aussie027

aussie027 Member

Thanks for posting the link to my thread Prophet.
    I was just about to do so when I saw this thread. :D

mpirklbauer was in fact the last person to respond in my thread.

I dont think his L cross section metal scoop as shown will make that much difference compared to just cutting a bigger hole in the plastic as I did. The RA and EVO just have bigger holes and a scoop without a restrictor but as I said in my last comment in my thread I dont think a new OEM RA scoop will make any noticeable diff to the stock NA one, especially given the undoubted high and overpriced cost. :D

10. mpirklbauer

Why I´m thinking about this, is to get the air "cleaner" in the scoop.
    On your pic., you can see that there is a sharp edge where the plastic starts and sharp edges are bad for air flow.
    So i decided to install a plate that will go over this sharp edge

I talked with a friend about my idea today and he told me the for some Porsche a similar mode is available.
    It is bigger than my plate, but the idea is the same.

11. vik2rius

vik2rius Well-Known Member

12. mpirklbauer

I don´t know what that should be, but it looks like a kind of turbo.
    Do you have a link to the product page??

13. vik2rius

vik2rius Well-Known Member

no i just found it on some evo forum...they said its a ralliart to evo x conversion but to me that doesnt look nowhere near a ralliart at all...

i actually did try to do the same setup and i can i say its relatively easy to do i just dont know where to get the right sized intake...i kind a like the way it is...

14. aussie027

aussie027 Member

mpirklbauer

Mate you have got to remember a couple of things, first ,the air going into/onto your plate is going to be very turbulent anyway because it has just passed through the plastic grille so a sharp edge as on mine or the contoured plastic edge as on the RA is going to make no difference.
    The bottom of the holes on the RA is just a hard straight edge at 90* to the airflow anyway not an angled scoop as far as I remember.
    Second at the low speeds we are talking about a car moving at (approx 110-130kmh max) the ram air effect will not be significant enough to worry about a super clean airflow path.
    The most important thing is to make the hole bigger as I did and put on a hi flow filter,like a K & N. to let the engine breathe better. As I said in my other thread the small slots Mitsu put in are ludicrous and when you cut out the hole the good thing is the intake air is coming in directly from outside,ie COLDER AIR than what is in the engine bay anywhere.

If you want to go to all the extra trouble of the plate by all means spend your time doing so. I am just saying the differences will be negligible if any and in my opinion not worth the time and effort.

15. mpirklbauer