Weird Rattling Noise

Discussion in '8G Lancer - Performance' started by faracinman2, Apr 15, 2008.

1. faracinman2

faracinman2 Well-Known Member

Did anyone else notice a rattling noise after they installed their Injen CAI? I checked all the bolts and everything seems to be tight and secure?

2. faracinman2

Just to be safe I uninstalled my intake and it is still there. it only seems to do it whenever I am driving and when the rpms are dropping... I think I'm going to just have to take it to the dealership....

3. Dukekid0987

Dukekid0987 Well-Known Member

ahhh just pop that airbox back in place and off to the dealership you shall go :wink:

4. faracinman2

thats what i did was switch it back to stock

5. Dukekid0987

Dukekid0987 Well-Known Member

hah yeah cause im pretty sure they would of found something and blamed it on the c.a.i

6. RedStar

RedStar Well-Known Member

defenetly!

Anyways good luck and I hope the dealership finds the issue and covers it all =)

7. faracinman2

im hoping its nothing major... cuz tomorrow they have to change out my tires cuz of the whole pulling to the left issue, and now this...

8. Bryn1987

Bryn1987 Well-Known Member

well on my civic when i started getting a rattling noise, it only happened at a certain RPM... and i realized what it was is a loose heat shield at the bottom of my car so... maybe it's just a loose piece somewhere :p

9. faracinman2

dude that is exactly what the dealer said he might be lol. Anyways I just got back from the dealer and while I was there, I took them for a drive and of course it was doing it at first... then at the very last stretch to the dealership it did it and they heard it. They said it sounds like it might be a loose heatshield. So tomorrow when I get my tires swaped out they are going to tighten it and hopefully it solves the problem.

10. Bryn1987

yup see =)... and for some reason it only does it at certain RPMs, for me around 2500 RPM... i just completely took it off my civic since it's a 98, the screws and everything was totally rusted and would of been a pain in the ass to put a new/used one to replace it... so i just took it off completely, it's not THAT important, it's for more of a precaution then anything else... btw, i'm talking about the heat shield at the bottom of your car where the exhaust is, not the heat shield on ur headers... those are there to protect the rubber/plastic where the engine is from melting and from keeping the hood from getting so hot that the paint will melt... but the on the botttom from what i've heard is fine to take off, which is what i've done ;)... otherwise my car would sound like a go-kart w/ all that rattling o_O lol

11. lancered

lancered Well-Known Member

i dont think our engines header temperature can get that high to melt rubber hoses and melt the paint,our cars would have to be ON FIRE just to do that.we wouldnt be allowed to put a header on then will we?

12. faracinman2

Yeah well I'm still going to have them fix it, it shouldn't cost me anything being how the car is literally 2 months old. Oh with the RPM I noticed it around the 2700-3000 range.

13. Bryn1987

thats what the heat shield is for... to prevent that... if u remove it, it starts to chip the paint from ur hood :-\... and we ALL know how bad mitsu paint is to begin with...

14. faracinman2

yeah the paint isn't the greatest... already starting to notice some chippage around the car...

15. lancered

chippage from driving,not melting paint.,its not gonna get that hot.just because mitsu paint isnt the best,prolly some off brand paint.how many people on here drive there car hard in 90 degree weather.its still paint.seriously guys,dont get this over your head.if that was the case,the motor itself generates enough heat to prolly do the damge.then we all wouldve been screwed from the beginning.plus with the aftermarket header thats availble now,that itself would "melt" the paint off our hoods...

16. Bryn1987

if you knew enough physics then you would understand just HOW much heat is being transfered to those heat shields to prevent heat from moving onwards to other items such as the hood or the plastic parts under the hood... so yes, you WILL damage your car's paint if you remove the header's heat shield for a long period of time... google it if u don't believe me -_-

17. lancered

if you had enough sense,i really dont beleive you cause in my experience it has not happen to me.ive taken off my heat shield off my header on my civic and other cars and it did not get that hot to melt.i also know of my friends doing the same and no paint melted.

18. faracinman2

well all in all it wasn't the heat shield. they checked that and it was bolted down. but the rattleing noise was from the oil filter. they found this when they did the oil change yesterday, and that was the first oil change i did so i don't know how it came loose.