True Ram Air?

Discussion in '8G Lancer - Performance' started by jake, Jun 23, 2008.

1. jake

jake Active Member

After looking at pics of under the hood(and what I remember from the dealship), its looks like it would be possible for a true ram air intake. It seems like the little scoop that directs air to the intake could be diverted directly to where the intake goes into the engine.

has it been done/ is it possible?

2. jacob1bc

jacob1bc Well-Known Member

if you are talking about the evo hood then the scoop is for letting cold air to the turbo. not the the intake. but those of us that are not going turbo might be able to turn it in to ram air. that is if you own a evo hood.

3. SoflaGTS

SoflaGTS Well-Known Member

hes talking about the scoop on the stock airbox

4. jake

jake Active Member

ya thats what im talking about

5. jacob1bc

my bad. didn't read it all the way through. i don't know it could be done.

6. nspunkrock

nspunkrock Member

I've been thinking the same thing. I think if the stock scoop were somehow routed right to the grill (and perhaps opened up a little :twisted: ....*cough* sawzall *cough*) then you could eliminate a lot of the redundant ductwork and move air right on through to the TB. It's something I've been kicking around for a while.

I'd be interested to hear more if anyone wants to go for it.

7. jake

jake Active Member

You'd need a pretty good filter, and somehow to keep water out. Unless it was just experimental, and knew no water would go in. It would probably foul the ECU to..

8. SoflaGTS

SoflaGTS Well-Known Member

grab a hydro filer and basicallt build a new airbox around the new filter and run piping to the stock scoop end and then cut a hole in the plastic by the latch and run a scoop instead of those few holes

9. Bryn1987

Bryn1987 Well-Known Member

y would colder air "foul the ecu"... it'd be no different then getting cold air from a CAI...

10. jake

jake Active Member

Now that I think about it, it wouldn't foul the ECU. It may trigger the CEL because the sensor for the intake would be sensing alot more airflow, and telling the car to use more gas to compensate

11. eTXlancer

eTXlancer Well-Known Member

you would probly need a piggy or reflash. better air, but too much. possibaly simaler to the fujita. where the scoop is now isnt getting DIRECT air flow because the incoming air passes under the the grated area. which gives cooler air but not forced. now if you just put a scoop to redirect the air up through the grate, ur getting somewhere. and its easier.

12. jake

jake Active Member

It could be a real good thing, but I wonder if the opening would allow enough air in to make it significant

13. eTXlancer

eTXlancer Well-Known Member

you could cut the slats out also.

14. bras_33

bras_33 Well-Known Member

15. GODZILLA

GODZILLA Well-Known Member

LMAO!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

16. jacob1bc

that's great. :lol:

17. jake