this may be a stupid idea...intake on the 8g.

Discussion in '8G Lancer - Performance' started by inkedup, Apr 1, 2010.

1. inkedup

inkedup Well-Known Member

this question goes out to anyone who has tried a "do it yourself approach" to the intake system on their cars, or anyone with some knowledge on the topic.

on my last car i had an intake that ran down under the car almost, complete with a scoop to bring more air in. this was on a 4.0 straight six, turbo jeep cherokee 2-door.( benefits of having a friend who has built 5-6 of his own trucks from wrecked frames.) sadly that car is gone now, but not surprisingly.

i was thinking about trying something similar here, i:e bring piping down to the left fog light cut out. although, i am weary of trying this considering some things i've heard about the lancer's fussiness on the topic. i can already see a few problems here but thought id get some opinions at least.

if this happens to be a terrible idea, those opinions are more than welcome.

2. dudejman05

dudejman05 Guest

You mean a cold air intake??? All the cold air intakes for the lancers sit behind the driver side fog light. I had an injen

3. lancer2quick

lancer2quick Well-Known Member

What you need to take into consideration are 1. The placement of the MAF. 2. Be aware of how water may travel the intake. If you run the filter in the open ( exposed to direct airflow) any moisture will be absorbed by the filter element. When the filter gets to a certain point, the pressure will pull some of that moisture up towards the MAF and the motor.

4. inkedup

yeah thats essentially what im saying, i just dont want to shell out that money for something i know i can do myself, its not that complicated of a system.

and yeah, the water was a concern, im trying to walk around that problem here. do you think that if it is just far enough up to be behind some of the bumper the water and other shit will be blocked?

or maybe a fine mesh grill instead of the wide open approach, i'm just having a hard time working it out completely, also thanks for the knowledge

5. lancer2quick

I really wouldn't recommend running a filter-less system (if that's what you mean). Even a single hair across the sensor will give you problems. When I made my cai, I used my original k&n upper pipe with an injen intake pipe from a tacoma with a spectre element at the end. I bought the filter at AutoZone for about 15 bucks.

6. inkedup

not a filter-less system, im just trying to work out the positioning of the entire thing, where it wont get soaked or destroyed, but still but still improve air flow

7. lancer2quick

ok...I gotcha now. :D

8. dudejman05

dudejman05 Guest

hydro shield + don't drive in a flood :wink: