thinking about upgrading my system

Discussion in 'Audio, Security and Electronics' started by lancer08guy, May 5, 2008.

1. lancer08guy

lancer08guy Well-Known Member

so ive doing some searches around my area..and i have found these JL audio subs a pioneer double din..so i was thinking about getting 2 12" subs, 2 1000watt amps, my double din, some 6x9, tweeters, and other things..is that too much? just fine? need opinions..

2. nanonyc

nanonyc Well-Known Member

Great!!!... thought you might consider to take a look and work something similar to this... I know I am... but I have one kicker l7 12" One amp Hifonics 600 watts and one boltar 950 Watts... Four O2's Interior speakers.... now... I have to organize my self based on this set up... JE JE

PS. I have the Audio Manual if you need it.. just PM me with your email and I'll send it to you...

http://www.lancertuners.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=2920

3. Texas Aggie

Texas Aggie Well-Known Member

2000watts seem a bit much. you need to check the RMS and peak on the speakers and sub. if your amp is too high then you could blow your speakers. if not enough your amp could shut off before it blows.

my systems is running on a 700watt 5 channel amp. I have a Kicker solobaric L5 10", infinity kappa components and infinity 2-ways for the rear. now I don't recommend you going with a 5 channel cuz you'll prolly want to upgrade it later and a 5 channel is limiting *live and learn*

depending on your speakers, a 4 channel amp that puts out 80watts per channel should work for a basic system and a mono/2 channel that puts out about 300/400 RMS per sub should work as well.

Post up the specs on the subs and speakers and I'm sure people will be able to give you a more clear picture of what you need.

4. SeRious08

SeRious08 Well-Known Member

JL Audio = overpriced

Look at other alternatives that have the same performance as JL but cheaper.

Which Pioneer headunit is it?

Remember to look in our Site Sponsor section. I think there is a Car Audio business in there. I'm sure they could hook you up. :D

5. KRU

KRU Well-Known Member

No 6x9's. The only place for them would be the rear package tray and talk about crappy imaging. Dont do it.
    JL's are only cool cause of marketing. They actually have one of the worst standing wave response on the market. An Audiobahn will save u a ton of money and perform just as good if not better. Not to mention they are just about bottom of the barrel as far as sound quality goes. So Im not pulling for Audiobahn as well, but its just a suggestion.
    As most people know I am a Kicker fan through and through, but they are very tempermental and if you dont build to suit then u could have probs.
    So which subs then? Thats up to you, Im just handing out info.
    Also you DONT need 2 1000watt amps. You will need a good strong mono amp that will provide you with 10% more RMS power than the total RMS power handling of your 2 subs totals together. Use a 4ch. with the same principles.
    Use a high quality co-axle or omni mount component 6.5" shallow mount for the rear speakers that fit in the doors. Use A set of high quality 6.5"Components for the front and mount them in the factory locations.

Be sure to always use high quality inter-connects and power wires as well as distribution blocks.

Good luck and post pics when done.

6. SeRious08

Agree...

7. krnkimchi702

krnkimchi702 Well-Known Member

i know there are some good audio people on this forume..so my question to you guys is... my friend has a jeep and he wants to put some subs in it... what are some most bang for ur buck systems out there?? i know kru likes kicker.. what about you serious08?

8. SeRious08

I have several actually. It depends on what style of system I am designing.

Brands that I like for Subs and Amps:
    Cadence
    Phoenix Gold
    Alphasonik
    Planet Audio
    PowerBass
    RE Audio

9. LancerGT17

LancerGT17 Member

Well rather than starting my own new thread about this, I'll add it in here.

I'm looking for something that I can use let's say blasting rock music to blasting some hip hop. Something that can support the bass but still sound crisp and clear when it comes to rock. Wanting to replace all the speakers in the door panels as well as add another sub on the other side of trunk. Anyway, no idea where to start, I'm absolutely audio handicapped. I've read that some people have blown some subs because it got too hot due to the exhaust being underneath it, will this be a concern? And does anyone here make custom enclosures? Thanks in advance!

JP

10. SeRious08

For Rock you want real punch sharp bass. 10" subs are great for this. Get rid of the Rockford sub all together and sell it. You don't want to mix it with some other amp and sub setup.

Never heard of an a sub blowing due to the exhaust. Besides, under the new Lancer there is a pretty decent heat shield protecting the trunk from the muffler.

For custom enclosures, contact KRU. But I warn you custom stuff is exspensive, not to mention shipping.