taillight with black housing

Discussion in '8G Lancer - Customization' started by vik2rius, Feb 6, 2008.

1. vik2rius

vik2rius Well-Known Member

has anybody been able to remove the clear covers of the 08 lancers taillight because I wanna paint the housing to color black I always thought of having it tinted or sprayed on but i think it may look 10x cooler having its housing black...kind a got my idea from the mazda 3s... Doesnt their taillight looks nice

2. voidedwarrenties

voidedwarrenties Well-Known Member

You can do it but you have to put the taillights in the over the rip the lens off pretty much I did it on my 03 Tiburon

3. vik2rius

yeah i was carefully looking at the taillight assembly and it looks pretty hard...ill proly use a small grinder or something to separate the clear cover from the assembly...i try to work on it this saturday...

4. UHateMy08

UHateMy08 Member

no grinder. just bake them.

5. BoostIt28

BoostIt28 Active Member

I did some on my ram, i stuck them in the oven @ 170 for 5mins and they came right apart

6. chetman7

chetman7 Well-Known Member

be sure to seal it real good..if not condensation will rear its ugly head on the inside of the lense

7. eTXlancer

eTXlancer Well-Known Member

man i hope it works for ya. am i the only one that thinks the tail lights look kinda pink

8. vik2rius

bake em e...i dont know about that, but well see...let you guys know what happen...i think i'll consider the grinder...

9. grizbone

grizbone Well-Known Member

baking actually works pretty darn good. in most cases its the best way to do it.

10. eKtor

eKtor Well-Known Member

i know this works for the headlights.. not sure for the tails... i thought it was going to be the same as the headlights when i did the side markers and it wanst... in fact i almost break them... be careful

11. prcdslnc13

prcdslnc13 Well-Known Member

bake them its the only way to go just watch it and dont forget about them like the cookies I always forget about lol

12. WildBill

WildBill Well-Known Member

Kind of off topic, but what did you think about your Tiburon and the hyundai brand itself??

13. voidedwarrenties

voidedwarrenties Well-Known Member

I had a problem with it revving itself when I first bought it. Took it to the dealership they said nothing was wrong but it magically dissapeared besides that it was great no other problems ever

14. eTXlancer

what would you reseal the lights with after baking

15. lancered

lancered Well-Known Member

use some clear sealer,itll need to set for awhile but itll work.but for me,id use super glue at first,then smack the clear sealer on it.it takes a few hours to dry but well worth it,i used it on my custom SRI,off topic. :lol:

16. eTXlancer

would an epoxy work?

17. lancered

yea it should

18. vik2rius

thanks for the idea...still kind a risky for baking...ive heard about the headlight part but not so good about what happen on the taillight...

i was goin to work on it today, but i got side trackted and work on painting my front bumper instead...

ill proly do some more research on how to do it properly...

feel free to add more inputs....

19. lancered

i wouldnt bake them,our cars are too new in my standard.we dont even have aftermarket tails yet.if i was you id just get a dremel or at least use a small torch to heat up around the seam of the tails,wear some gloves,and try to pry them apart CAREFULLY.

20. vik2rius

hey thanks...yeah i thought about that too...they got some mini torch at walmart when i walk by the auto isle...

i also thought about torching a knife or a blade and use it to slice the taillight apart...