Synthetic Oil or Standard Oil?

Discussion in '8G Lancer - General Information' started by Lancer-Randy, May 18, 2008.

Which would you prefer on YOUR Lancer?

1. Synthetic

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Standard Oil

100.0%
  1. Lancer-Randy

Lancer-Randy Well-Known Member

What would you guys choose?

2. jacob1bc

jacob1bc Well-Known Member

i use mobil one Synthetic & filter, but i don't think our cars need the synthetic oil.

3. GODZILLA

GODZILLA Well-Known Member

i use the same

mobil one synthetic oil and filter

4. Bryn1987

Bryn1987 Well-Known Member

time for my 2cents... i say go w/ Standard oil till you break in ur car (some people say it's as little as 200 miles, and some as much as 5k miles, it's up to u) but i'd say, if u go w/ standard u MUST change ur oil every 3k miles, it's a lot healthier for ur car or else u get oil sludge, w/ synthetic oil, theoretically you NEVER have to change your oil because it doesn't turn into what they call oil sludge, but u end up getting debree from the engine in the oil, thus synthetic lasts longer, which is why they recomend 5k mile oil changes, either way i still change every 3k miles (btw, i use synthetic)... so what i'm trying to say is, stay standard ur first or first 2 oil changes, then switch to synthetic, and change your oil every 3-4k miles if you want to be 100% sure ur car will last long, and as for another piece of advice, take time to read this site, i know it's long, but it's the bible to engine oil =)... literally lol

http://www.carbibles.com/engineoil_bible.html

they go on and on, but u get a good idea of the types of oil and what exactly it does, and even though they say that if you must have a number they throw out the number 5k miles, i'd say 3-4k is safer =)... of course it all depends on what conditions you live in, how many cold starts you do a day, how big of a cold start (going from -10 degrees Fahrenheit) etc.... so now i repeat, "read" =)

5. RedGalant2k1

RedGalant2k1 Well-Known Member

I run AMSoil synthetic and change it every 12,500 miles, roughly anyways. I've never used better oil or filters. Much better then the Mobil One I used to use and far better than and dino oil ever made.

There is a lot of argument about using synthetic oils, but from experience with customer vehicles and personal vehicles I will never use anything else but AMSoil synthetic oils.

6. Lancer-Randy

well this is going to be my 2nd oil change, i just do it like a normal oil change with the change of Noramal to synthetic?

7. Lancer-Randy

8. eTXlancer

eTXlancer Well-Known Member

i ran 3k on factory oil then 3k on half and half. now pensoil platinum synthetic.

9. busybee

busybee New Member

i'm still for standard oil... i'm a purist.

10. Bryn1987

well supposedly standard oil has better lubrication... so... w/e floats ur boat i guess :)

11. RedGalant2k1

That would negate the whole point of synthetic oil.

12. Evolve

Evolve Well-Known Member

Randy let me know if you need help bud. I know some lazy@$$ shop didnt wanna change your oil for you. It's easy. Let me know if i can help.

and i use Mobil 1 with a mobil 1 Filter.

13. vik2rius

vik2rius Well-Known Member

just got my 30k service...ya i know, "already"...all of the lubrication in my lancer are synthetic...even the recommended transmission oil is synthetic...dealer would say it as something "special" just for you to come in at the dealer...which they tried to charge me like 500 for the service....

14. Bryn1987

no -_-... the point of synthetic is it lasts longer because it doesn't... decompose? or w/e u wanna call it, so it doesnt turn into "engine sludge", therefore less maintenance...

15. RedGalant2k1

I.E. Less maintenance because it lubricates the internal engine components better and prevents engine wear.

16. Bryn1987

did u read my first post in this thread? i explained y synthetic is less maintenance...

thats what happens normally w/ normal (mineral) oil....

thats for synthetic oil...

basically what i'm getting at... is mineral oil are a lot more prone to reacting w/ oxygen creating your engine sludge... where as synthetic oils are more resistant to these chemical reactions... which is why i said, synthetic oils technically can be left in the engine forever because it won't decompose... but the main reason for changing synthetic oil is because of the debris, created by metal grinding metal, floating around in the oil which can lead to damaging the engine... this is why synthetic oil requires less maintenance...

but what i was trying to give credit for towards mineral oil is that i've "heard" that mineral oil provides more lubrication then synthetic... more lubrication = longer lasting engine... but more maintenance since you have to change it more often because of it decomposing... especially in cold temperatures (like in winter) when there is a greater change in temperature turning it on and off... this decomposes the engine oil more then any other factor...

but of course i don't know for a fact if it's more lubricant... it's just wat i've "heard"

btw, not trying to be a smartass or argue or anything, just putting out the facts is all :p

17. JGSkains

JGSkains Well-Known Member

Castrol Syntec; but, have been considering AMSoil. Just haven't wanted to pay for it.

18. SeRious08

SeRious08 Well-Known Member

In an independent test, it was found that synthetic oil showed an increade of 2.4 hp over the standard.

The exact same car was used everytime. 3 different types of standard oil, 3 types of synthetic. The write up was in Turbo magazine I believe.

19. mezzedupdream

mezzedupdream Well-Known Member

that would also depend on the car i'm assuming. what car was it?

20. LuvMyLancer

LuvMyLancer Well-Known Member

Castrol Syntec 5W-20 here :)