SRI sound?

Discussion in '8G Lancer - Performance' started by DragnRidr85, Sep 16, 2008.

1. DragnRidr85

DragnRidr85 Well-Known Member

ok so i'm confused about why the SRI sounds like it does...

when driving in fully automatic i can hear the SRI very nicely even as low as 2500RPM... however if i start in semi-auto (that clutch-less manual mode) can't hear the intake even when going up to 3500-4000 rpm before shifting. Is there any reason why this happens? I'm guessing it's normal because I'm not having problems with the car and it all runs perfectly but I'm curious as to why it's like that

2. JDMhammer

JDMhammer Well-Known Member

weird. I have the SRi and I can deff tell you I hear it in both modes...

3. DragnRidr85

what RPMS do you hit before you really hear it? in auto and semi

4. JDMhammer

JDMhammer Well-Known Member

2900-3000 in semi and about 32-3300 in auto

5. DragnRidr85

anyone know if maybe some loose installation or something could be the problem? I doubt it though cause i checked it and it's pretty solid and without any damage

6. EngRWW33

EngRWW33 Well-Known Member

I can hear it in both modes but the sound is a bit different. I believe the fact that in auto, the tranny holds at a certain rpm longer than it would in semi which causes the sri to hold that, imo, loud roar to a certain level. In semi, the rpms change much quicker which will change the sound much quicker throughout the rpms. It definately has a sweet spot for the sound in either mode.

7. medic

medic Well-Known Member

I can hear mine in both modes pretty clearly. It is a bit more pronounced in the sport mode on my cvt as well but i can still hear it quite well in full auto.

8. DragnRidr85

hmm i dunno then. I'm sure there's nothing wrong with installation or the SRI itself. Maybe it's a fluke. Oh well. Still love the car =)