SRI or Works Drop in

Discussion in '8G Lancer - Performance' started by faracinman2, Feb 11, 2008.

1. faracinman2

faracinman2 Well-Known Member

I know this is a pretty common topic but I've been looking around, and I just can't seem to find which one is actually worth it or better. For example, does one provide better performance, sound, and gas efficiency? Or are they about the same?

2. 5th

5th Well-Known Member

well depending on wich you would prefer there is much on the topic of CAI vs RAM intake and there is also a big price diffrence.

3. faracinman2

The SRI I'm talking about is the one from RRM

4. Evolve

Evolve Well-Known Member

The question of "worth it" and "better" are very subjective. Trust me when i say that it will literally be up to you like 5th said.

If you're talking performance you're splitting hairs (not that much diff between the two)

If you're talking sound i imagine the Short-ram will be slightly louder than the drop in.

If you're talkin looks (lol doubt you are) then nobody will know you have a drop in filter.

5. faracinman2

Thanks guys that helped, mainly I just wanted to know if there was a difference in the performance.

6. Evolve

Evolve Well-Known Member

what sucks for us (as consumers) is all these places that "dyno" their parts and numbers can get thrown around very easily. Different dynos' equal very different numbers. Kinda leaves a person to wonder "hmmm" ya know....? 8)

Never had the drop-in filter but the RRM short-ram treated me very well and im eagerly awaiting the 2nd version of the short-ram from RRM

7. faracinman2

Is the 2nd version just an updated version of the 1st one? What is the differences between the two if you know?

8. 5th

5th Well-Known Member

well if your intrested in intakes just google it you'll find alot of information about them.

theres always an issiue about the diffrence, so once you understand how they work it would be easier for you to decide

9. Evolve

Evolve Well-Known Member

Of course the 2nd is an updated version of the first but as far as HOW different, remains to be seen. I myself haven't seen the design/concept so this is all just speculation.
    You can bet there will be a point (once the v2 is released) that either RRM themselves (since they now have their own dyno) will produce numbers in comparison to the 1st one. or someone else who owns the v1 will dyno their car with the V2 to see if any difference was made in power.

We spend our hard-earned cash and we want results. I wouldn't expect to be let down in regards to people proving one way or the other if this v2 is legit.

10. eKtor

eKtor Well-Known Member

For me, common sense says that the drop in is the better over all...

1. it doesn't catch hot air from basically on top of the header like the rrm sri
    2. its less restrictive so it gets more air in
    3. it uses the stock ducts and everything so it catches cold air from the front of the car....

thats just using common sense... you guys correct me if im wrong

11. 5th

5th Well-Known Member

thats basicly it

so the issiue is:
    CAI is longer but you get coler air
    SRI is shorter but gets warm air

12. Wasper

Wasper Well-Known Member

Hmm... I dont know.

The first point you made is valid, you are correct that the Works Drop-in would be encased inside the stock filter assembly, thereby keeping the hot air from the engine bay from being "inhaled" by the engine.

But point #2, I dont know if I agree. How could a drop in filter that is encased all around accept for the "inlet area" be less restrictivethen the RRM SRI that uses a fully exsposed cone filter ? One would think its opposite.. that the SRI is less restrictive.

Point #3 is up for debate aswell... yes , the drop in filter will use the stock intake assembly that utilizes the duct for bringing in the cold air. But, on the otherhand, The RRM SRI can be installed without removing the stock intake duct. and that duct points directly at the cone filter on the SRI. So basically, whos to know really which one is more effective.

I think that performance wise they would be pretty much on-par with each other, maybe a slight advantage going to the SRI.

But, for that extra 1-2 hp you gain with the SRI, your also going to have to deal with a louder engine and the fact that youll have to install the whole set-up for the SRI.... where the drop-in filter is just that... a drop-in.

I own the RRM SRI and one other thing to consider is this. When I went to my dealer, after buying the SRI but before installing it, they said that if I have any engine problems and bring it in for service, and they see a SRI installed, then they wouldnt cover it under the warrenty. So, now when I go in for service , even oil changes, Im going to uninstall my SRI and put the stock intake back on just to stay on the safe side.

On the otherhand, I dont think they can do anything if you just change the filter.

I would ask your dealer first to see what thier policy is on aftermarket parts before making any decissions.

As far as the performance of the RRM SRI goes...

I just uninstalled it yesturday becuase I have an oil change tommorow. This is the first time switching back to stock since I installed the SRI. And let me tell you, although the engine is pleasenly quiet, I can tell a big difference in performance. The SRI definitly gives you a punch in the low end that you just dont get with the stock set-up... now, does the works drop-in filter do that?? I dont know.

Hope this helps

13. faracinman2

Anyone that has the works filter, have you switched back to stock to see if you noticed a difference?

14. Powerhouse

Powerhouse Well-Known Member

Hey Everyone, I'm new here, but definately not new to the modification of cars.

The SRI is going to be a much better investment in terms of peformance & modification then the drop in filter. Both RRM & Fujita make a really nice SRI for your cars.

In terms of CAI Injen has their's it is much more expensive & a much more extensive install, but it will give you your best HP boost & be a different sound from your motor from those that you are passing. A CAI tends to sound a little louder & deeper because in most cases it gets tucked up near the front fenders as apoosed to the SRI which sits in the center of your engine compartment.

That's just my two cents.... Some will disagree & others will agree, but that's the modifying world for you.

15. GTS-SB

GTS-SB Well-Known Member

i just heard my homie from back home just blew his engine on his Nissan 350Z from water getting into his CAI. according to him he had the bypass and water still snuck in there

16. BigSteve

BigSteve Well-Known Member

go with the works drop in if u wanna look stock when u pop ur hood also mitsu wont give you sh!t about it cause they cant see it so the works filter is good for warranty assurance too... RRM SRI is good but like any SRI it sucks in warm air... CAI is good *risky* but good.. SRI give u more power off the line, CAI give u more top end power..

17. krnkimchi702

krnkimchi702 Well-Known Member

i am loving the works drop in filter... i am getting 24 mpg city and i also had the rrm intake which was getting me around 22 at most..and thats me driving with the flow of traffic (around 40-50mph) i have the works exhaust also but i am getting rid of it and putting on the rrm exhaust... also i have the pully which i will be getting rid of also... i will dyno the car tomarrow hopefully with the drop in filter and the rrm exhaust...

18. eKtor

eKtor Well-Known Member

not to doubt your knowledge, but i live by common sense... following the principal of N2O and CAI, the fujita and rrm SRI dont make sense at all for me... if lower air temperatures are better for performance, why i should get better performance from something that sucks air with less restriction but from the top of the header? instead of the drop in filter that uses the stock piping that actually grabs air from the front of the bumper where its actually getting colder air? like i mentioned in another thread, i understand the people wanting an sri/cai for the ricey purpose of just the sound... but performance wise, those SRIs just dont make sense to me at all...

EDIT: also wasper.. when i said that its less restrictive i didnt mean less restrictive than the rrm sri.. i meant less restrictive than the stock paper filter... also.. even if you leave your front duct there with the sri, air will choose the path of least resistance and it will grab most of the air from the engine bay itself...