SRI or CAI?

Discussion in '8G Lancer - Performance' started by chicagolancer, Sep 8, 2008.

1. chicagolancer

chicagolancer Member

looking for answers and opinions. im looking to buy an air intake, but not sure which one is better, SRI or CAI? with CAI, has ne1 had problems witht he rain and puddles? which one is better for performance?

2. EngRWW33

EngRWW33 Well-Known Member

take a look around... there is TONS of info on this topic already

3. mikeike8

mikeike8 Well-Known Member

ya theres like a million and a haf forums on this topic.. but since i have a CAI i say get the CAI just make sure u get the hydroshield from Injen as well and you shouldnt have any problems... at least i havent had any so far....

4. 4B12LancerGTS

4B12LancerGTS Well-Known Member

Well if you have a 2008 Lancer go with the CAI since it will help you with the low end torque. but a 2009 go with the SRI which is better for the 2009's torque and HP. Someone please correct me on this if im wrong!?!?!

5. EngRWW33

EngRWW33 Well-Known Member

The SRI is going to help you more with the low end... CAI for the high end RPMs

6. mikeike8

mikeike8 Well-Known Member

/\ +1 its true

7. mpirklbauer

mpirklbauer Well-Known Member

8. Evolve

Evolve Well-Known Member

I've used 2 short rams and the Injen CAI. Not too much of a difference between all of them.

Go with what you like best.

Stay away from Fujita though. They havent seemed to correct the Check-Engine light the intake induces after installation

9. Thatguy

Thatguy Well-Known Member

as for rain + puddles. ive driven through some really bad weather and puddles. so far so good. just be sure to avoid them if you can and if you cant drive slow at least. i have an injen cai and it's working great.

10. DVHopeful

DVHopeful Well-Known Member

when we say hi end and low end, what are we saying? low end 1-3k? or 2-4k? bc my SRI doesnt kick in till 3.5k and when it does it sounds nasty

11. Mitsu008

Mitsu008 Well-Known Member

i prefer the shorty :wink: dont have to worry about rain water and performance is noticable over stock

12. Dr1fter

Dr1fter Well-Known Member

It's called a bypass valve and you don't worry about puddles/rain :D I'm biased towards the CAI as I have Injen's and love the sound it provides. At the end of the day, the gains from a SRI or CAI are minimal so it all comes down to looks/sound :wink:

13. Evolve

Evolve Well-Known Member

even my header from RRM doesnt provide much noticeable gain in the 1-2 k range. That's what having a 4 bangers does. No torque at all. Mid-to-upper range is a different story though.

The power felt from anything is usually around the mid to upper range. I've even tuned my car with my piggyback to run on 91 octane and clean up the top-end a bit. Still no punch from the bottom end. at all

this is the grocery-getter that i bought so im slowly learning to deal with the gutless wonder our car is at any rev-range under 1 to almost 2k

like someone said. If you're looking for "low range" power you won't really find any parts for it like some are hoping.

I liken our cars to an RX-8 and S2000. both have decent hp numbers but you wont ever see it until you climb up the powerband a bit.

14. Mitsu008

Mitsu008 Well-Known Member

yup thats the whole 4 bangers for u lol. only a turbo would make that low end "BANG" 8O

15. Dr1fter

Dr1fter Well-Known Member

Even with turbo you have turbo lag waiting for it to spool up...so I dont think people should really expect any power before 2.5k ...which isn't necessarily a bad thing as you want your wheels to connect. Otherwise you'll just be spinning tires through your gears. :wink:

16. mpirklbauer

i think i´ll get an K&N change filter, the pulley and the RRM header.
    than i design my own intake system, with new stainless pipes and the stock airbox

17. Ryan_C

Ryan_C Member

I got the RRM SRI and it sounds bad ass when under heavy acceleration in gears 2 and upwards (doesnt seem to wanna make noise in first gear...)

will be installin my RRM headers and pulley in the coming weeks :D

18. sordid

sordid Well-Known Member

The CAI will also help prevent sucking in nothing but warm air when you're sitting at a light. Over here, mid summer, we have some lights that run for upwards of a minute. After it turns green, you've got almost no ability to leave that intersection quickly because all you're sucking in is 45C+ air.. the engine leans out too much. It takes a while after that to cycle out all the warmth from the engine bay, so the SRI "advantage" of quicker throttle response and better low end is gone. I'm going CAI next spring. Outside air will always be better than engine bay air when it comes to performance.

I'm worried about how lean this engine will run as well as a cause of it.

19. mpirklbauer

that is the reason, why i won´t install a SRI and thinking about a CAI.

an other question, is the RRM header for the low or the high end??
    I´ve heard both sides and i don´t know what is true.

20. sordid

sordid Well-Known Member

These are 4 cylinders. If there's any gains to be had, it'll be in the higher end.. that's where inline-4s produce their only appreciable power. We don't push enough exhaust at the low end.