Sound dampening question

Discussion in 'Audio, Security and Electronics' started by Texas Aggie, Mar 16, 2008.

1. Texas Aggie

Texas Aggie Well-Known Member

this will be the first time i've dampened my car and I'm wondering how much I will need to dampen the front/rear doors and complete trunk. I've seen 10sqft and such but how much will that cover?

2. ChokingChicken

ChokingChicken Well-Known Member

couldn't tell ya. I can't remember how much exactly it to do my trunk but i remember it started to feel like i was using a hell of a lot. Adds up quick

get more than you think you need

3. Texas Aggie

yeah, i've got a lot of stuff i need to get before i put dampening on. I only want to rip my door panels off one more time cause i'm getting tired of it.

i intend on adding some cold cathode lights and 2 more line output converters along with the dampening. i'll do everything at once. just trying to figure out how much i'll need for the doors and trunk so i can add up total cost

4. ChokingChicken

ya, i'm feeling your plan. make sure you take pics, i'd like to see this process. that and i haven't tried takin the panels off yet and a how to would be great.

5. Texas Aggie

I did a How-To on installing the rear speakers in the Audio section. check it out. i have some pics on there too. I may wait till I get that rebate check we're supposed to get from the government before I buy everything.

it'll prolly take a few days because this'll be the first time i'll be doing something like this. i've done a hand full of installs but by no means am i an expert. so far i haven't messed up...lol

6. ChokingChicken

always good. I know i'm always do careful doin everything. I got my subs all set up and ready to go then i went and got the pros to wire it up for me. jsut wasn't feeling to confident that day i guess

7. Texas Aggie

I feel ya. I had some ppl install my amp and components but when i looked at my amp they didn't wire my components to my amp. i talked to the install ppl but didn't want to get crazy cause they know what car I have and my address. from then on i decided to do everything myself. all it takes is research.

there are a lot of knowledgeable ppl on here and in case one person is wrong, others will probably know better. also, the longer this site is up...hopefully...the more how-tos will be posted. I mean we have over 640 ppl. someone's gotta know something.

8. ChokingChicken

Ya i know eh, i always ask here first. but i know a few guys at the local audio shop, and i've done a lot of business with em, always good. I got the whole system for my jeep from them and then started on the lancer. I'm like customer number one there.

9. Texas Aggie

oh nice, i've never had one person do it. either myself or someone i heard good things about. but my girl's best friend's fiance does everything involved with Scion's so i'll prolly start workin with him. May start a business with him too.

10. ChokingChicken

hey that'd be pretty cool

11. Pocket

Pocket Well-Known Member

12. Texas Aggie

oh really? well coming from a WOMAN i guess i will agree..lol :D

13. Donitsi

Donitsi New Member

I would consider adding aluminium sheet to those open holes in the door under the Dynamat to make it even better. Or is that too hi-fi? :)

14. Texas Aggie

^ honestly, i have no idea wat ur talkin about. where would I get an aluminum sheet?

15. ChokingChicken

^+1

Why would you wanna close up those holes?

16. Donitsi

Donitsi New Member

Sheet, plate.. 2mm thick. You want to close up those holes for better bass response. But I can see that is too high end. Just put Dynamat over them.

17. darklancer

darklancer Well-Known Member

hmm future thought