Some questions about modding my ride

Discussion in '8G Lancer - Performance' started by BigSteve, Dec 4, 2007.

1. BigSteve

BigSteve Well-Known Member

So I was thinking.. when the turbo kit is released.. its gonna come with an intake.. down pipe.. turbo.. ect ect.. my question is.. being that I have a custom cat back and the RRM intake... are they gonna be useless when I get a turbo? The turbo is gonna come with a new intake.. so that gets rid of the RRM intake.. and if i get a turbo.. im gonna have to get a bigger exhaust.. 3 inches is what im thinking.. am I right or wrong? I like the CAI for the lancer and te fijita SRI... but im afraid to buy anything else for my car because I dont want it to be useless if I get a turbo.. am I right or wrong? I need some feed back guys.

2. Prophet

Prophet Well-Known Member

IMO if you have every plans to go turbo I would wait for the turbo and save the money instead of wasting it on parts that you are going to have to replace to turbo....

3. Payload

Payload Well-Known Member

well part of an SRI can still be used.. considering you still need a mounting point for your airflow sensor. If you turbo down the track then you'll need a bigger exhaust than you would if you were going N/A to make the most of it. Though in saying that if you had say a 2 1/4 while you run N/A you shouldnt have any trouble running that for a while untill you can get it replaced though its not going to make the most of the settup of course.

most turbo kits dont come with anything for the intake besides the pipes ( or the ones i have seen anyway ) so the filter and mount for your airflow sensor can still be re-used. Personally i wouldnt go with a CAI for a turbo just becuase with the extra suction your more likely to suck up water and with an intercooler anyway there isnt much of a gain vs the potential for damage. But then again i wouldnt even risk it on an N/A car.. some big puddles form around my area. Just look at the high performance japanese N/A cars.. i dont think i have ever seen one with a CAI.. they all have those CF wide bend SRI's.. which is something i would like to see for the lancer. I think i watch too much touge challange though :p

My suggestion would be.. if you are sure that you will get a turbo later on and you already have the money put aside for it then dont do any more engine mods just work on the handling. Get some nice suspension, good breaks etc. Just make sure with the money you put aside for the turbo include all the extras like the exhaust and intake or whatever you will need.

4. WillieetheOne

WillieetheOne Well-Known Member

+1 payload. I myself will be going with the STS when i get back from this tour. I am also going to buy the fuel management system, and all the required upgrades. I also am going to get RRM's pully and maybe the ECU piggy. But I will have more options when i get home because there will be more parts out there when i get back. So again like we all say research and research your bet buy is the educated buy.

5. SeRious08

SeRious08 Well-Known Member

You won't need/want the piggy if you are getting a fuel management system.

BigSteve: Def. work on the suspension and braking system if you have the funds for it while saving for the turbo. With the low PSI turbo that will be for our cars, 2.5" exhaust is plenty.

6. WillieetheOne

WillieetheOne Well-Known Member

Thanks i was just figuring tha with the RRM ECU already tuned for a CVT it would just be easier. I also would like to know what would be the best suspension out there for our cars right now. I figure if my turbo is mounted under the bloody car i want m baby as tight as possible. What about RRM big brake system would that do??

7. SeRious08

SeRious08 Well-Known Member

Right now RRM or Works springs are the best for handling.

RRM Big Brake Kit would benefit any ride regardless of turbo or not. Well worth the investment.

8. spunx021

spunx021 Well-Known Member

nothing against the RRM big break kit but from what the pic showed, it's just a big rotor, don't really know much about the calipers and stuff like that, more info would be cool