short ram or cold air??

Discussion in '8G Lancer - Performance' started by 09lancermatt153, Dec 19, 2008.

1. 09lancermatt153

09lancermatt153 Well-Known Member

hey guys im wanting to get an intake for my car . i was leaning to get the injen cold air. i live in chicago and we get alot of snow (like today we got like 5 inches with rain and sleet so it made the streets a big slushy) and im worried that the cold air will get water in it even with the hydro shield. my question is should i get a short ram or a cold air do you think all the snow and rain will it will hurt the cold air?? thanks matt

2. Prophet

Prophet Well-Known Member

Water in the motor is a very bad thing... it will take less then a teaspoon to blow your motor...

On the other hand on my 8G Galant I have been running a CAI all year for about five years now and no problems during the raining season. It will take alot to suck up water into your motor and your CAI will have to be at least 75% submerged in a puddle of water.

3. LuvMyLancer

LuvMyLancer Well-Known Member

I live in Canada and have the SRI but I know people who have the CAI with no problems. Others simply just take theirs off for the winter.

4. Prophet

Here in this picture you can see where mine sits...

[​IMG]

5. 09lancermatt153

09lancermatt153 Well-Known Member

bump bump bumpity bump

6. jacob1bc

jacob1bc Well-Known Member

jason did you get a new bumper?

7. Prophet

Naw Travis... that picture was taken years ago...

8. dive_junkie

dive_junkie Well-Known Member

So here's an easy one. I live in Texas. A lot of hot air. So which one should I go with and where can I get it. I am having a heck of a time finding one for mine. I have an 08 GTS. Where can I get my hands on this?

9. jacob1bc

jacob1bc Well-Known Member

well it's up to you. but our vendors sell them. RRM has the SRI and AEM CAI and speed corp has the Injen CAI and K&N SRI. the choice is yours

10. dive_junkie

dive_junkie Well-Known Member

I'm thinking of doing the K&N SRI. I'm pretty confident in them since I have owned them before. I appreciate the help. Thanks.

11. Keeeent

Keeeent Well-Known Member

I have the Injen CAI, and I love it, but I wouldn't mind getting the K&N SRI because it'll be so easier to install and change the filter when it needs changing.

12. goof

goof Well-Known Member

i live in south florida and i want to know..(for the power) which one is better for the cvt. and can the aem be used for the cvt? (price doesnt matter)

13. eKtor

eKtor Well-Known Member

Where in south florida??

I hate these threads, specially cause it has been covered before

but my input it CAI all the way.. for me, there is NO SENSE in trading a "restrictive airbox" that pulls cold air from the front of your car, to a high ari flow intake suckinf extremely hot air from les than a foot from your header. thats just plain dumb in my eyes... as a matter of fact, i had a SRI for about 2 weeks, and 2 days ago i took it off and went back to stock, and honest to God it feels way more powerful stock... and LancerGTS agrees on this as well... But IF you want to get an intake get the CAI and put a pre-filter on it.. it repels water really well...

14. goof

goof Well-Known Member

so best intake for money sri? i dont think i read ur post correctly

15. eKtor

eKtor Well-Known Member

thats the sentece you gotta worry about in my last post haha :D

16. goof

goof Well-Known Member

pre-filter? im not a noob, honestly i know more about a 2jz then my own hands lol i dont know why i didnt get s supra, but yea whats a pre-filter just another filter from another company?

17. ROMINLANCER

ROMINLANCER New Member

I LIVE IN NOTHER CALI WHERE WE DONT SEE TO MUCH RAIN BUT I HAVE HAD BOTH THE ROAD RACE SHORT RAM AND THE AEM SOLD AIR WICH I REALLY NEVER NOTICED ANY DIFFERENCE IN PERFORMANCE BUT RAIN ON THE THE OTHER HAND WAS AN ISSUE WHEN DRIVING THROUGH DEEP PUDLES SCARED THE YOU KNOW WHAT OUT OF ME WHEN MY CAR BOGED DOWN A BIT SO PUT MY OLD RRM INTAKE BACK ON AND ITS ALL SMILES NOW POWER PLUS NO HEAD ACHES IN RAIN

18. eKtor

eKtor Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Do me a favor please

[​IMG]

lmao had to do it.....

Pre-filter is a mesh that goes over the filter that repels water... Its also known as hydroshield... Click here for example

19. Dabrits

Dabrits Well-Known Member

Would the pre-filter just restrict the air more, thus decreasing efficiency? Maybe it is decreasing a very negligible amount, but who knows. Does anybody have one of these filter socks?

20. pbstud2001

pbstud2001 Well-Known Member

i think i got one for Christmas, I'll let you know in the next few days lol