shifting CVT

Discussion in '8G Lancer - General Information' started by 91talontsi, Aug 12, 2007.

1. 91talontsi

91talontsi Active Member

had a question? will shifting a cvt that doesn't have paddles shifters from L to D have potential to screw the tranny up. Earlier today i had a buddy with me in the car when this Honda civic pulled up next to me. From just testing out the acceleration earlier in the week i noticed in D it gets up to 20 alot slower than leaving it in L and accelerating, so when we raced this guy i shifted from L to D and i whooped him =P. Buddy was all like you are going to screw your transmission up that way, its not a manual.

2. bras_33

bras_33 Well-Known Member

Nice kill, btw. I love it when honduhs get takin out...eventually it will. How long? who knows

3. jRox

jRox Well-Known Member

i highly doubt that will hurt the tranny.

4. WildBill

WildBill Well-Known Member

I did some investigating on this. The thing to remember is the 08' Lancer CVT transmission runs off of a pulleys system versus the traditional automatic metal gearing. The Metal gearing is what gives you the "shift shock" in normal automatics. These gearings, when you do what you did with changing between preset gearings in a traditional automatic can, over time, wear away the gears teeth quickly and lead to slippage in gears and potentially the lose of a gear, such as 2nd or 3rd, in a worst case scenario. The new Lancer, however, by using the pulleys with the metal gearing being more of a mesh design to allow the continual acceleration over the entire powerband does not face the same issue.

So, to directly answer your questions, technically it should not affect your transmission to do that because of the way it is built and designed. However, I do not recommend doing it all the time as cars now and days can have the weirdest problems and or issues at the drop of a hat. Using it to race every now and then is fine, just try to refrain from doing it while commuting/normal driving.

Btw, nice kill on the civic.

Bill

5. bras_33

bras_33 Well-Known Member

great info, Bill

6. 91talontsi

91talontsi Active Member

Thanks for the info, that is kind of what i was thinking. Appreceate you doing the research =)

7. WildBill

WildBill Well-Known Member

No problem, I am a broke college kid. When I am not working or at school, I waste my life on cheap booze and the computer. At least until I get my new Lancer (hopefully the RA model due in a few months) :) .

Bill

8. 91talontsi

91talontsi Active Member

yeah i would love to have another awd turbo car, dont think i can afford the payments on a RA or an evo though. I guess i will just have to get a turbo kit for my lancer =P

9. JayGTS88

JayGTS88 Well-Known Member

AMEN! 8)