RRM Pulley and oil leak

Discussion in '8G Lancer - Performance' started by 08LanceRage, Apr 14, 2008.

1. 08LanceRage

08LanceRage Well-Known Member

I bought the pulley in december after 4 months i started to leak oil . The mechanic said the aluminum pulley was the cause . Hear is a picture of the groove that the seal made on the pulley.......
    the stock pulley is metal btw. Im not sure what to think . But i do like Road Races parts.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. 08LanceRage

I ordered the seal but at is going to cost me more money to put it on , I spent $100 to have it looked at and to put the stock pulley back on , and the new seal will be here in a week....more money to put the new seal on is going to jack me all up...

3. Bryn1987

Bryn1987 Well-Known Member

anyone else have this problem?

4. lancered

lancered Well-Known Member

that sucks man,i havent had this kind of problem yet and mines been on my car for 6 months

5. Lancer-Randy

Lancer-Randy Well-Known Member

sucks dude. . . .

6. 08LanceRage

I have 25,000 miles on the pulley time will tell for everyone who has this

7. Wasper

Wasper Well-Known Member

WOW...

Makes me worried about my pully.. I've had it on for 3 months now.

I wonder if this is a result of not having the harmonic dampener on it like the stock one does...

I think I may be doing a late night at work and switching pullies to investigate.

8. Evolve

Evolve Well-Known Member

if you do check this out see if you can begin to see the groove that messed up his.

i've been on this thing about 7 months now. but all the times i've been under my car this past week i really couldn't tell something was wrong with the pulley. not that i was really looking for it anyways

9. SeRious08

SeRious08 Well-Known Member

No, it not having the HD is not the cause of this. Technically are cars are balanced internally with the shaft. The HD does very little if anything at all for us. If not having the HD was a big deal, you would have noticed the first time the car was started with the RRM pulley. There would have been excessive engine vibration.

RRM has sold, I'm guessing over 500 of these and this is the first one that has presented a problem. There are numerous reasons that could have caused this. It could have been RRMs pulley but its highly unlikely.

It could be Mitsus doing. Maybe they designed the the seal to last between 25000-30000 miles.

10. 08LanceRage

the pulley is all aluminum , the stock one is metal , I talked to 4 differant guys 3 who have been racing cars for years and they told me , ( why is it all aluminum , it should heve a metal center attached or some sort of metal sleeve so the seal wont gring it down.) I said oh !!!! then he showed me a sleeve ... hmmmmm................

11. Bryn1987

since when is aluminum not a metal?

12. RedStar

RedStar Well-Known Member

its a weak metal?

13. azn_ghetto

azn_ghetto Well-Known Member

from wht iv been told by my track friends that a pulley can tear up ur engine

thats kind of y i havnt bought it yet

i dono if thats true or not can any1 varify?

14. KRU

KRU Well-Known Member

im gonna take my stock one to a machine shop and see about making a custom 1 with a metal center and an aluminum outer. Like a two piece. now Im all wierd in the head about this.

15. 08LanceRage

thats what should be done !!!! Yeah a weak metal

16. Dukekid0987

Dukekid0987 Well-Known Member

wow hard to believe time to take the pulley of the list

17. Wasper

Wasper Well-Known Member

I also talked to a friend, he said basically the same thing. He said that Mitsu prob put in a heavy-duty seal to work with the steel pully, and that the softer aluminum wouldnt hold up over time becuase the seal will eventually wear down the shaft of the pully.

This is very concerning... I realize that RRM has sold many pullies over a number of years,without problems... but then agin, there are no long-term results with the 4b11.. being a new engine and all.

I am going to bring my stock pully into work tommorow and switch it back and take a long hard look at the RRM pully. Im a machinist and have all the tools of the trade at my disposal. I will do alot of mesuring of the shaft with variuos measuring equiptment to see if there is any wear or warping. Afterwards I look into what it will take to fabricate a steel sleeve for the outside.. Maybe I'll throw the pully on a lathe, turn down the outside of the shaft and then make a press-fit sleeve.

I'll get back to you guys tommorow with my findings (if its slow enough at work to do all this).

18. prcdslnc13

prcdslnc13 Well-Known Member

YAY for machinists who know what they are doing. I work in a production shop and most of the operators are idiots and if its not just putting a part in and hitting a button they are worthless.

19. Bryn1987

but he made it sound like aluminum was a plastic and that the OEM pully is metal o_O

20. darklancer

darklancer Well-Known Member

maybe we should talk to rrm have them take a look at it ...maybe make a new one?