RRM Headers + RRM Axle-back = quiet

Discussion in '8G Lancer - Performance' started by Evolve, May 19, 2008.

1. Evolve

Evolve Well-Known Member

Going straight from the injen prototype exhaust im happy to announce that im lovin' the new tone from the rrm exhaust in combination with the headers.

Little background:
    Got the headers installed not too long ago (maybe a month or so) and was impressed with the new-found punch of this car but was not so happy with the new louder tone of the exhaust.
    Before the installation of the RRM exhaust i had several members from other forums listen to my ride with the Injen exhaust on. Not an impressive tone to them either.

Then i put my lancer up on Road-Race's lift, had my stock piping placed back in and went with their axle back. Impressed the hell out of me because i now have a renewed peice of mind from not having to worry about police pulling me over with my uber-loud Injen exhaust.

The tone and pull of my ride is sooooooo much nicer now and i honestly feel like im driving a new car. Ill be the first to admit i was ready to call Serious08 a liar when he said the "headers made my car quieter" I put the headers with my Injen and that shit didnt get quieter LOL. But after placing Road-Race's axle-back im glad to say that it did INDEED give my car a quiet tone ON TOP OF THE FACT i have headers on.

Here is a review of a fellow lancer owner (who's not a member on this forum by the way) that took a ride in my lancer after hearing my new axle-back/header set-up.

"I like the fact that the RRM Headers and RRM Axle back compliment each other in sound and performance. It's slightly louder than stock at idle, but subtle enough that you won't have the police pulling you over every 10 feet.

Your car definitely felt like it pulled harder than my stock GTS."{thumbup}

continued in another post....

"I had a ride in an '08 Lancer GTS with the RRM Header, RRM Axel Back, and a Injen CIA... I liked it A LOT. The header and muffler complement each other perfectly. Just enough sound at idle and normal cruising to let you know it's there, and loud enough to sound great when you're on it and the tone had a slight raspy sound to it in the higher RPMs, but not be obnoxious while doing it... good stuff!

I definitely liked the sound of the RRM combo WAY more than the sound of the RRM Header + Injen SES Exhaust (this combo sounded ricey to me).

I'm definitely going to get the axle back and PZEV Header when the funds are available.

Great work and awesome shop you guys have there Rock!" {thumbup} :D

Disclaimer:
    I'm in no way dissing the Injen exhaust because (truth be told) the exhaust sounds pretty nice on it's own. I got compliments all the time on the nice tone of the exhaust. But once the headers went on that's when the tone got loud, gurgly and obnoxious. If you don't plan on buying headers the Injen exhaust is still a great choice (although the selling price of the Injen exhaust is REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEDiculous)

Very pleased with the results. and im loving my headers even MORe now that they aren't as loud as with my Injen prototype. Thumb up to the road race crew for all the help and assistance...and most of all, go-fast parts

2. WillieetheOne

WillieetheOne Well-Known Member

Awesome to hear did you win the exhaust at the meet lol! But glad to hear good things about RRM.

3. Evolve

Evolve Well-Known Member

i put the damn meet together and i didn't win SHIT! hahahah sucks for me.

oh wellz.

4. spiderman671

spiderman671 Guest

Great to hear man. I will be getting myself the RRM exhaust in 2 weeks, can't wait. And now, will deff. think of getting the headers.

5. Evolve

Evolve Well-Known Member

you can ask any buddy of mine, i was literally at a wall in terms of what to do about the loud tone of my INjen/Header set-up. I was constantly battling with myself wondering which one would HAVE to go (i was not going to just keep driving it with the tone the way it was) So i decided that of the 2 products, i found the headers to be much more worth the bang for the buck then then injen exhaust. Hopefully (if) when you consider getting the headers you'll come to the same realization i did. Great power coming out of this lancer now. Much much nicer.

I think most are shocked at the Road-Race muffler because it's too quiet. But this sort of thing is piece of mind that i'd just rather have than having a full catback set up that may be a little noiser than i'd like it to be.

Some like aggresive, some don't. Im part of the "quiet" catagory.

6. Evolve

Evolve Well-Known Member

Here's some shots.

[​IMG]
    <>
    [​IMG]

Injen Exhaust
    [​IMG]
    <><><><>
    Road-Race Axle-back
    [​IMG]

7. Ironballz

Ironballz Active Member

Any chance you can post a vid/sound clip of the RRM header + AB?

8. WillieetheOne

WillieetheOne Well-Known Member

Looks good, but is that dirt or did someone scratch your rear panel? We didnt have that color here i the Matitimes. Just the EB, or is it WW and the angle makes it look a light blue?

9. Evolve

Evolve Well-Known Member

If i had the means to i would. I don't own any recording devices.

LOL this is a silver car and i scratched my own car. long story. The short version of the story is that im a dumbass. :p

10. JDM FLOW

JDM FLOW Well-Known Member

Nice Evolve. So you like the RRM headers + RRM axleback better then the RRM header + injen ses?

11. Evolve

Evolve Well-Known Member

Yes. Much quieter.

With the Injen you could assume either i had headers or the catback set-up was not built right. (toooooo much gurgle, rabble, rubble)

You can't tell i have headers on. I didn't believe it myself but you really can't tell i have them on. Love that.

The thing is this: Im not quiet sure how big the diameter on the Injen is but having it opened up a little larger than the stock set-up SHOULD bode well for any car, but in combination of say headers or boost, you may be doing an injustice to your car by running a more 'open' set-up and risk having the parts not compliment eachother.

The injen exhaust was FINE until i put headers on. The headers gave me some damn good response that the injen exhaust couldn't come close to. I think Injen made a great product but did not keep in mind that the diameter combined with another part may increase the loss of backpressure. I'm no expert but i've seen countless freinds of mine go with a catback for their 4 banger, only to add headers and some of those same exhaust's sound like shit afterwards.

What's the true way to shut everyone up? Race side by side with a car that had the injen exhaust and headers but in reality i could really give a Fu6K less about comparison's and dick-swinging contests. I know what i like. 8) :D

12. JDM FLOW

JDM FLOW Well-Known Member

True and nice that you like your new set up.

13. Invincible

Invincible Well-Known Member

very nice to hear that, i might be getting the same setup as well, is it possible that you post a small sound clip? that would help alot..

14. Evolve

Evolve Well-Known Member

yea man. it's not like im AGAINST putting up a clip or anything. i have nothing to hide.

it's just i dont happen to own a recorder to record. On top of that i also don't know how to upload vids either. so im double-pwned.

If i ever get a buddy of mine with a recorder i'll have him catch me doing a 'fly by' and an 'in-car' vid. I wanna show this set-up off more than you know. believe me

15. westcoast

westcoast Well-Known Member

What size piping is the injen catback, and what size piping is the RRm axel back?

16. Evolve

Evolve Well-Known Member

If anyone in the L.A. area has the means to record and post a vid hit me up.

Im out in the San Gabriel Valley. Believe it or not, my buddies don't have recorders either. 8O :x :eek:

17. 08Lancer89

08Lancer89 Well-Known Member

I have the RRM and I am very happy with it has a nice sound not ricer at all!