RIMS and CVT

Discussion in '8G Lancer - General Information' started by mattsg, Sep 27, 2007.

1. mattsg

mattsg New Member

Sorry, don't know what happened. I posted a new topic and one second it was in the forum and then it wasn't. I tried refreshing and it still wasn't there.

Original post:

Hi . . .
    I'm new to this forum, I have a black 08 Lancer GTS with CVT and Sun & Sound. I like the car, but I've got to say that Mitsubishi customer service is poor, in TO anyways.

I was just wondering if anyone has had the following issues:

1. Two of my wheels have over 20 lead weights on the inside of the RIMs to balance the wheels. I contacted my dealership and asked them to replace them (given its a new car and it shouldn't require that many lead weights - if it were made well), they refused and said its normal. Is this really normal for Mitsubishi? Has anyone had this issue? I'm going to fight it, just wanted to know if other people noticed the same thing.

2. I just noticed that when using the sportronic / paddle shifters the engine wont go over 3000 rpm. I can floor the pedal and there’s no increase in speed (120 km/hr at the time) or RPM's. I haven't contacted the dealership yet.

2. mattsg

mattsg New Member

I forgot to mention, for number 2. the problem is when the engines in 6th.

3. tatsujo

tatsujo Well-Known Member

4. bras_33

bras_33 Well-Known Member

Thats because you have the CVT ask lancergts, he will tell you about it.(lol)

5. Wasper

Wasper Well-Known Member

Hi,

I own a GTS with CVT so maybe I can help....

#1... I used to work at a tire shop in my youth, so I can tell you that no matter how new the rim and how new the tire, there is always a chance that it will be out of balance. Also, if you notice, the weights are most likely positioned on the opposite side from the valve stem. I belive this has to do with the tire pressure sensore that is attached on the inside of the rim.

I may be totaly wrong, but most tire pressure systems are placed this way and the weight of the sensor throws the balnce of the wheel off. On my Lancer I have the same thing, a long strip of wieghts to counter balance the sensor. This is normal and you shouldnt worry about it. better to have weights that you can barely see, then have "scalloping" of the tire treads do to wheel wobble.

#2.... The 6th gear on the CVT is pretty much for dropping the RPMs down once your up to speed to save on gas milage. If you want to up the RPMs to speed up or pass someone, just drop down into 5th and hit the peddal.. youll see a speed/RPM boost then.

Hope this helps,
    Wasper

6. WillieetheOne

WillieetheOne Well-Known Member

hell i have the DE and i have not noticed any lead on any of my tires mind you i have just tires and not rims so i might get some tomorrow if things go well but they wont go on till i get back. Winters coming lol. Also my tires are only 16 not 18s that would make a huge diff too. But fuck it you payed for your car and should be happy with the purchase its called customer support is it not.